limited or no connectivity with xp sp2 and wep on

Thread: limited or no connectivity with xp sp2 and wep on

california, where anyone can be governor!

limited or no connectivity with xp sp2 and wep on

here is my situation:

i have a client with two computers connected wirelessly to a 802.11B linksys wireless router.

they upgraded one computer from 2000 to XP and now the wireless connection (its a linksys wusb11 ver 2.6) won't connect. gets the "this connection has limited or no connectivity" and on the explanation says "unable to obtain an ip address". this is when i am not broadcasting the SSID and have WEP on.

The other computer, running XP (NOT with xp2) has no issues.

If I broadcast the SSID and turn WEP off, it connects just fine.

I've read a number of possible fixes but wondering if anyone here knows specifically what is going on and how to fix it.....I have to secure this network soon. I have left them open just so they can work but it can't be left that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyx
    .."unable to obtain an ip address". this is when i am not broadcasting the SSID and have WEP on.. If I broadcast the SSID and turn WEP off, it connects just fine...
    Lets try & narrow it down to one thing at least - try leaving the ssid off & wep off - will it work then ? (I think it probably will - but at least then we know its just wep)

& can I clear up the service pack level of the 'upgraded machine' ? Does that have sp2 on it or not ? you specifically said the other hadn't .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Lets try & narrow it down to one thing at least - try leaving the ssid off & wep off - will it work then ? (I think it probably will - but at least then we know its just wep)

& can I clear up the service pack level of the 'upgraded machine' ? Does that have sp2 on it or not ? you specifically said the other hadn't .
    upgraded machine has sp2. if I don't broadcast the SSID I can't connect either. have to be able to see the ssid and have wep off.

When you turn ssid broadcast off in the router you are telling it at the client end the name you've picked for your network ? (that's like a hugely 'dumb' question - but just checking !)

Anyway don't you want to be using WPA ? (its more secure, I don't think you'd have had that option with w2k, just wep, but without looking it up I ain't certain ) - if you want to use that though instead I think you'll have to upgarde your unpatched machine (you ought to anyway 'really' )

So I guess that complicates matters .. & so back to you to consider

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    When you turn ssid broadcast off in the router you are telling it at the client end the name you've picked for your network ? (that's like a hugely 'dumb' question - but just checking !)

Anyway don't you want to be using WPA ? (its more secure, I don't think you'd have had that option with w2k, just wep, but without looking it up I ain't certain ) - if you want to use that though instead I think you'll have to upgarde your unpatched machine (you ought to anyway 'really' )

So I guess that complicates matters .. & so back to you to consider
    yeah, i keep telling the guy to put xp2 but he doesn't get around to it, and I know when he does do it that there will be fallout.....

yeah, i am telling it the right SSID....

i'll try a few things i have read at microsloth and some other places and see what happens....might also try a different usb wireless deal....

Quote Originally Posted by mattyx
    yeah, i keep telling the guy to put xp2 but he doesn't get around to it, and I know when he does do it that there will be fallout.....

yeah, i am telling it the right SSID....

i'll try a few things i have read at microsloth and some other places and see what happens....might also try a different usb wireless deal....
    OK, I have seen this before (I'm a wireless junkie)

So, you've upgraded a machine from 2k pro to XP SP2.

This being said, 2k was not built to handle wireless natively (you have to install the WLAN card's software to be able to use it).

Windows XP and SP2 include what is called the "Zero Configuration Utility" for WIFI networking.

Unlike the card's utility, where it lets you enter the "passphrase", you have to key in the whole WEP key in Hexidecimal format (0-9, A-F).

If you can connect with the access point with SSID broadcast on and no wep, and can also connect with SSID broadcast, and WEP, but are unable to obtain an address from the network, then the SSID is the culprit. You have to re-check it. I know that I dont favor the idea of entering the whole 26 character string from 128bit WEP

If you need more help, let me know.

BB
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

I had the same problem and I did what bbtech6650 said and it worked. The wireless app that is built into sp2 should give you an option to enter it in ascii or hex. I just assumed it was ascii. Thanks for the help.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson