DeVry or community college

Thread: DeVry or community college

DeVry or community college

Right now I'm kind of stuck in a dead end position with my job (working help desk) because I don't have a degree and I want to move un to bigger and better things, so I'm planning on going back to school to at least get my 2 year degree or possibly even a four year degree. Since I plan on working in the IT field I was wondering if I'd be better off going to school like DeVry or would my best bet be to just go to a community college in Dallas to get my degree. Does anybody either have or know somebody that has a degree from DeVry and how it has helped them career wise?

I don't think this answers your question but one of my closest friends attended DeVry in NJ about 3 years after she graduated. She did well in her class and was hired by Intel where she has worked ever since. She did have to relocate to upstate NY but she is quite happy and makes a good living there. Good luck and whatever you decide to do, don't do it halfway.

IMO, your money could be better spent on buying yourself a nice lab and 200lbs of books. But, this only works if you're the kind of guy who really wants to know how stuff works and have the time/willingness to do it. On the otherhand, a degree can pay off if the position you're seeking puts a high value on it. The majority of IT headhunters are looking for people that know their tech stuff. When you start reaching for management positions or applying for IT jobs in government or education fields, the HR people may place a higher value on a degree rather than your IT knowledge. So, where do you want to work? Look at the headhunter boards (monster, computerjobs.com, dice) and see what job requirements companies are looking for for the positions you want to get.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Although I agree with you wholeheartedly sil, Devry has one heck of of a reputaiton in this field. That would certainly beat a communtity college. Hands down.

Although some employers look at degrees, many are testing applicants to assess their knowledge base above and beyond whatever degrees or certifications the applicant has. So the degree may not be as valuable as it used to be.

In any case I'd suspect you'd be better off with a specialized degree from a recognized technical institute than with a generalized degree from your local community college.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    In the field, experience beats the paper hands down, but the paper gets you the interviews and the sweet jobs.

And, 3fs, when you already have the experience, and then you go to a place like DeVry, and get a degree, that paper is, hands down, quite impressive, as well as, let's just say: a Difference maker when it comes to an IT future.

btw SE, you could go for a "name" change, too. That could only help.

Devry tuition has gone up from about $1300/semester when I attended to $6500/semester. One semesters tuition will buy a fine CCIE lab on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    And, 3fs, when you already have the experience, and then you go to a place like DeVry, and get a degree, that paper is, hands down, quite impressive, as well as, let's just say: a Difference maker when it comes to an IT future.

btw SE, you could go for a "name" change, too. That could only help.
    If you have any desires to move into Management, then you will need a degree from a fully credited college.

If you are happy being a PC jockey for the rest of your life, then go with trip's suggestion.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with Social Enemy's name.

Maybe you should change your's, trip. It could only help!
    "YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAGH!!!" --Howard Dean, Chief of the Democratic Party

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon
    If you have any desires to move into Management, then you will need a degree from a fully credited college.
    Well, not necessarily. While I was at Devry there were a number of older students (who had been in the field for years) taking Telecommunications Management for the purpose of getting into management positions. I'm not endorsing Devry (because I despise a number of their policies including credit transfers and tuition prices that have risen an average of roughly 40% per year since I attended) but they do employ a number of professors who have proven themselves in the field and find teaching to be a great way to retire (as opposed to other schools who hire professors who "teach because they can't make it in the marketplace).
    Last edited by silencio; March 7th, 2005 at 09:07 PM.