scsi to ide adapter

Thread: scsi to ide adapter

scsi to ide adapter

i have bought an ata hdd 80 GB maxtor my motherboard didn't recognize , my pc spec : Pentium Celeron 433 MHz 128 MB RAM , (very very old) , but i like it , i have an ISA SCSI card controller 50 pin external and internal , so if i bought the scsi ide adapter could i use the hdd so i can boot the system from this hard disk, i have bought a usb 2 ide cable and the HDD worked properly but i cant boot from it, as the motherboard doesn't support booting from usb but it can boot from scsi.

thanks very much

[email protected]

I'm thoroughly confused as to what you've done, but it sounds like you're trying to connect an ide drive to a scsi card on the isa bus? And how does usb play into this? My recommenation would be to avoid anything to do with isa - will be unbearably slow.
    1. Do you know make/model of motherboard? It would be highly unusual that m/b does not have IDE port. However, it would be likely that bios would not recognize drive of that size. An update may or may not be available.
    2. Easiest solution is to buy pci ide controller card. Under $25.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

thank you for your intrest, i would like to know that if i bought a scsi pci card and connected it to my ata 133 hdd , will the performance of the hdd be like a scsi hdd or lesser quality,

about th usb , it is a cable that comes with an AC adaptor so that i can connect the ata hdd externally to the usb port

my M/B has 2 IDE but it doesnt recognize the new ATA HDD i Bought , so i thought that it would be better to enhance the performance of the HDD by attacing it to a SCSI adapter and the connecting it to the scsi card i have or buy a pci scsi card as u suggested, i would like to know if the performance will improve

No, not pci scsi card, pci ide card. You don't want to connect an ide drive to a scsi card.

The reason your drive isn't recognized is the age of your computer (specifically the bios). If you post the m/b info we can see if an update is available.

Even with the new card the other components of your computer cannot possibly keep up with the drive's potential performance. The scsi vs. ide debate is irrelevant. In fact, the drive is probably worth more than the entire pc.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ezzezzz
    my M/B has 2 IDE but it doesnt recognize the new ATA HDD i Bought
    EDIT: as suggested post the motherboard information be it make and model or bios string [numbers showing on screen as it boots].

My motherboard

GA-6BXC
    Intel 440 BX AGPset

Manual here
    Intel PIIX IDE driver here
    Bios version F3 here
    You will probably have to get a PCI IDE controller card as suggested to get your board to recognise that size of harddrive.Ebay comes to mind for a secondhand one.
    Last edited by Archer; March 7th, 2005 at 08:00 PM.

thanks man i appretiate your concern

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Sorry, but you can't plug IDE and SCSI stuff together. The easiest solution, as hudson said is get a PCI IDE controller card. The promise range are quite good if you're on a budget.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Quote Originally Posted by ezzezzz
    My motherboard

GA-6BXC
    Intel 440 BX AGPset
    I have seen modded BIOS's that support up to 128gig drives I will dig it out for you.

G.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.