Dell should sell AMD based computers

Thread: Dell should sell AMD based computers

Dell should sell AMD based computers

I keep reading about Dell not selling computers based on AMD CPUs and the official stance of Dell is that there is no demand for it. They say no one is asking for it.

So I figured I would start. Almost all the computers I buy for work are Dells and I would love to see and I would buy Dell computers with AMD CPUs.

Any one else?

I wouldn't buy a Dell computer if it came with a 99% money back rebate.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Actually, Dell is looking into an AMD line of pc's, because of the push of the AMD Opterons. I read a story a few weeks ago on this, I'll throw a link up then if I can find it again.

Meat - I hear ya there, but some people, myself included are locked into Dell's at work. We're bound by state contracts, so no choice at work. At home however, is a totally different story.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    I wouldn't buy a Dell computer if it came with a 99% money back rebate.
    Can I ask why? That is a pretty vague statement.

I can tell you why I do buy them.

They are easy to buy and they work. I don't have the time to build computers all day long. The "average" user isn't going to notice the performance from one computer to another. They have excellent web support. I don't like calling and getting someone on the line I can't understand. That said I hardly ever have to call them. Almost everything that I need to do can be done from the web.

So for all of the options I have Dell fits the best.

they just opened a new call center in my city, a warehouse will follow in 2 years. support here could not be better, besides any one that is looking ata dell is not looking ata high performace machein, they want it for business apps where support, stability will always win out. AMD is just not needed by dell, maby in the home market and exclusive server markets, why indroduce complexity to Dell busines processes to provide a limmited demand product?
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

Hmmm.. Higher performance and lower costs = lower demand? Whatever It's the Intel/Dell connection that keeps this from happening. Intel sells to Dell at a ridiculasly low rate, and to keep that up they can't be courtin' AMD.
    "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!"

Yep, Dell and intel are in bed together but i don't know who's on top :-).

They get a hell of a discount on the volume they ship, which gives them a bit of say in what happens. All the latest intel cpu's, Dell get them first in volume.

The other distros and manufacturers have to wait.

Dell could easlily ship amd systems but they don't want to upset intel, it could affect thier costs.

Dell, sod the customer. Show me the money !!!!!!!

The Average Customer

Part of the problem is most consumers do not know any better or that they have a choice. Dell is a good PC and the school district I work for exclusively uses dell PCs. I own two dells (well actually one) and they are both laptops. I have a Latitude C600 that I bought off of the school when the lease was up and then the school bought me a new D600 at the beginning of this school year. I can't say I would ever buy a desktop from them as I prefer AMD chips as I feel they offer a better price to performance ratio. Dell has been teasing us for years by continually testing AMD chips, but they will probably never sell them because of the deal they have with Intel. Its kind of sad really because it shows that Dell cares more about the bottom dollar than the customers that buy their products. Being a Dell certified tech I periodically get access to surveys about their support and I always add in something about selling AMD in the comments section. Not that that is going to influence any decision or anything. I do feel that Dell loses a few customers here and there because of not selling AMD chips, but I am sure it is not enough for Dell to change their minds. I do feel that what Intel does to its buyers should be considered unfair marketing practices and it violates antitrust laws because they are basically bribing OEMS to sell only intel. I don't know how they can get away with selling chips cheaper to one OEM than vs another. I am sure they just say that we sell cheaper to Dell because they buy more and I am sure that always holds up in the courts. Nothing will ever change this unless the average consumer wakes up and realizes that they are getting screwed.

I hate to sound like I'm defending Dell, but I kinda am. To go AMD they would either have to be put under an awful lot of pressure from consumers, or discover some large financial benefit for doing it. Ultimately it's all business. If you have the best deal in the industry with the largest processor supplier in the world, who in their right mind would run the risk of screwing that up? It would have to be for something significant. And sad to say, but I don't think Dell views the relatively low number or people wanting them to use AMD as significant.

But maybe I'm over analysing...it could be nothing more than Dell already spent a lot of money on a huge stock of computer boxes that say Intel Inside

Personally, I'd like to see all the major manufacturers to offer more of AMD.

Working in a repair shop I work on a lot of Dells and deal with a lot of customers that own them. The customers hate their overseas tech support and so do I. They screw up our part orders about 20% of the time. One time I had to wait 6 weeks for them to tell me that they screwed up my order and that they didn't even HAVE the part I needed. I've had several customers order computers from them with a quoted one week turnaround and not have the computer show up for 6 weeks and even then only after several phone calls with Dell replying, "It's on its way, we're sending it right out." They are the slowest company I've ever dealt with when it comes to returning your phone calls.

Lets see - how about a Dell notebook with AMD and user-friendly Linux OS? That I would consider. Especially at the price it *should* be for those modifications...

But meatwad is right, Dell's Support for home consumers is terrible, if emails from friends who have them is anything to go by. Meanwhile, the addition of a Canadian Support Centre in Edmonton (paying an embarrassing low rate of pay) is hardly going to encourage users if Dell doesn't get it right...

I'm hearing interesting things about Avaratec right now (who use AMD, by the way) but they are still too small, too niche for me to trust just yet...