DVD/CD-RW drive errors in XP Pro

Thread: DVD/CD-RW drive errors in XP Pro

DVD/CD-RW drive errors in XP Pro

First of all, let me say that I spent twenty minutes writing a post before this one and when I clicked on the "Preview Post" button, to my utter dismay, I discovered that the site logged me out and my post was lost.

Anyway, I am a new user to these forums and would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me solve my problems.

Just a couple of weeks ago I installed a clean copy of Windows XP Pro on my notebook computer for academic reasons. I was previously using XP Home, which ran all of my hardware and software perfectly. My problems did not start until after I installed XP Pro. I have installed the latest drivers for all of my hardware and ran Windows Update to install SP2 and security updates only.

Ever since installing XP Pro I have encountered the following errors:

CD-RW drive will not burn discs
    I am using B's Recorder GOLD5 to burn discs. Whenever I try to burn a CD-R I encounter the following error:

An ATAPI error occurred.
    An illegal request has been reported by ATAPI command.
    < Error No : aa052700 >

additional note: the "Recording Speed" drop down list only lists "2X".

DVD/CD audio stutters
    Whenever I listen to a CD or watch a DVD, the audio stutters repeatedly (once per second on average). I have noticed that the drive's status indicator lights up whenever the audio stutters. This problem is not confined to any particular software application. I can read non-audio data from the drive fine.

additional note: in ITunes, if I listen to a song on my hard drive while importing songs from a CD, the audio will begin to stutter, even though I am not playing back from the CD.

Computer crashes randomly
    This has nothing to do with the DVD/CD-RW drive, but it has started happening to me after I installed XP Pro. Sometimes when I am launching/playing a game, the system will freeze or crash unexpectedly. There are no error messages. I have also experienced page fault errors twice in the past couple of weeks, but not recently.

Here are my system's specifications:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (DTR chip)
    * driver version 1.1.0.0 (AMD)
    Memory: 1GB DDR333
    Hard Disk: 60GB 7200RPM HTS726060M9AT00
    * driver version 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft)
    Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro
    * driver version 6.14.10.6378 (ATI)
    DVD/CD-RW: Slimtype Combo LSC-24082K
    * driver version 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft)
    * "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device." is turned OFF

I have Norton Anti-Virus 2004 and ZoneAlarm installed on my computer, but I have disabled them when running tests. I have installed and run Ad-Aware and RegCleaner, but to no avail. Any help, comments or input, again, is greatly appreciated. I use my notebook both at home and work, so being able to burn files to a CD is the greatest priority. Feel free to come over and hit my computer with a wrench anytime.

Am I correct in assuming that you installed all of the chipset/video/etc. etc. drivers from your manufacturers website, or did you use the windows default ones?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    Am I correct in assuming that you installed all of the chipset/video/etc. etc. drivers from your manufacturers website, or did you use the windows default ones?
    I installed the video drivers that came with my notebook manufacturer's driver CD. Updated processor and chipset drivers were obtained directly from the respective manufacturer's websites. The DVD/CD-RW drive uses Window's default driver.

These are basically the same drivers that I have been using with Windows XP Home. Do you think that some of XP Pro's default drivers are different from XP Home?

Quote Originally Posted by chilledfresh
    ..These are basically the same drivers that I have been using with Windows XP Home. Do you think that some of XP Pro's default drivers are different from XP Home?
    I know they are different between service packs

& as this is a laptop, you are running on mains power through all of this ?

Lastly I'll add to what geoscomp says, & say to re-apply all later hardware patches again, after installing sp2 as it can overwrite newer ones as its effectively performing a repair when it installs.

As a btw :- You used the phrase "installed a clean copy of Windows XP Pro" - imho once you have to patch significantly, its not clean anymore, to get the latest driver updates & patches included as early as possible in any setup routines, using a Slipstreamed disk will help.

Is DMA enabled for the drive?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Hudsonsmith
    DMA is enabled for all of my IDE controllers (Primary, Secondary and VIA Bus Master). It is not an option in the DVD/CD-RW drive's Properties tab in Windows XP.

Confus-ed
    I installed the drivers and service pack updates in the same order I did for XP Home. Theoretically, there should be no difference in how the system operates as a result right? But I'll try re-applying the driver updates manually anyway to see if that works.

The notebook is plugged into an electrical outlet, so I know its not a power issue.
    Last edited by chilledfresh; March 10th, 2005 at 01:33 AM.

Here's an update. I downloaded and installed the following drivers:

Chipset/platform
    VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers version 455vp1

Video card
    Radeon Omega drivers version 2.6.05a (Catalyst 5.1)

IDE controllers
    VIA IDE Accelerator driver version 120b

Now the audio stutter has stopped, but I still can't burn CDs. Thanks for your input so far, at least we solved one problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chilledfresh
    ..IDE controllers
    VIA IDE Accelerator driver version 120b

Now the audio stutter has stopped, but I still can't burn CDs. Thanks for your input so far, at least we solved one problem.
    At this point I'd try add/removing my writing software (& also any similar stuff like virtual drive software) as they add their own 'drivers' (they are a part of a driver really) to matters & very often due to patching, the various linked inheritances get worked out wrong.

If that doesn't help try removing the enhanced IDE drivers, as they can cause problems too, as they up the efficiency of matters by making the ide controller appear as if it were scsi to windows - but this can cause compatability & translation issues. (re-run the 4-in-1 after )

Hey everybody, thanks for helping me solve this problem. I was able to successfully record a CD after updating the recording software and disabling "Enable CD recording on this drive" for the DVD/CD-RW drive (drive properties > recording).

Thanks again.