Can This Winmodem Do Linux?

Thread: Can This Winmodem Do Linux?

Can This Winmodem Do Linux?

I've been trying to testdrive linux on the internet, without success. My modem is a Conexant PCI SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP, which I believe is what they call a winmodem because it relies on drivers written for Windows. If anyone has either done it or knows how to get this modem to work under linux, please share the knowledge.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    A quick google gives some pretty good indications its not going to work in Linux. The fact that is a winmodem and needs software installed to operate in windows would also be a pretty good indication.

Grab a different modem, you can pick something up fairly cheap that will work, just google whatever make/model you're going to purchase first, to ensure Linux compatibility (although a lot of them are listing Linux compatibility on the box now if you buy a retail version).

rule of thumb is taht winmodems will not work under linux. My recomendation is to always buy a hardware driven modem as it is not windows dependant, dosent bog down you CPU (because thats what is doing the work in a win modem), and and finaly genraly provide better service and connection speeds in rural areas.
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

Winmodems are not Modems .. not that I agree, or the guy who wrote it apparently

Google is good, but knowledgeable friends are so much better. Someone at the Broadband Forums directed me to a site (http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/) that provides a linux driver purportedly for my winodem, turning it, hopefully, into a linmodem.

Hi, I got my conextant PCI HCF modem working with slackware. The linuxant drivers used to be free, so I used the wayback machine (www.archive.org) to find the file name and located the file through rpmfind or something, there was a small error in the source code, but IIRC it was only a missing " unfortunatly I can't find it now although it only worked with the 2.4 kernel and not the 2.6