Lexmark All-in-one share problem

Thread: Lexmark All-in-one share problem

Lexmark All-in-one share problem

K, customer's house. Has a Dell Laptop with XP on it. Also has a desktop with win98 on it. The Lexmark X1150 is attached to the Win98 desktop. The laptop is connected to a DI-524 with a wireless card. The win98 machine is using a wired connection to the DI-524.

When I got there the computers couldn't see each other properly on the network so I reconfigured them pretty much from scratch. They're both DHCP, the logon user name for win98 matches the one for the XP welcome screen. The workgroup is WORKGROUP. It still didn't work but I found out by trying pings that they had both the XP and NIS firewalls enabled on the laptop, turned them both off and they could start talking to each other. So the Sharing works fine. Now, I had problems getting the printer to be shared properly. I updated the Lexmark drivers from the website on the win98se machine. I removed the drivers from the laptop and when I tried connecting again is said the server didn't have the right driver, so I downloaded the XP drivers on the win98 machine and plopped them in a shared folder. I pointed the XP machine to the shared folder and it installed the driver ok. When I try to print a test page from within properties is spits back after a few seconds that the print didn't work would you like to try the troubleshooter (which is useless). So I try printing from notepad and the win98 machine then kicks on with the lexmark "printing has started" sound file. The printer makes some noise for a second and then the "Prinitng has completed" sound file is play and nothing comes out of the printer...

Anyone have an idea WTF this isn't working? I spent 2 hours getting to this point...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/...ocid=ENUS15462
    Don't know if this helps, I see that firewall is off but this is all I could find on Lexmarks site
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    ..Anyone have an idea WTF this isn't working? I spent
    2 hours getting to this point...
    Drivers with multifunction are a nightmare & generally I just avoid trying to use them as a shared device he adds very unhelpfully !

Click this & tell me/us which one you are trying to do (what it calls 'queue mode' vs 'direct mode' ) ?

After getting frustrated with it I called Lexmark... they told me the x1150 CANNOT be shared across different operating systems... and if it's the same OS it has to be the same service pack... isn't that a bunch crap?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    ..I called Lexmark... they told me the x1150 CANNOT be shared across different operating systems...
    That's got to be the problems associated with it being multifunction ? (think of the complications with services I guess) - so it looks like you are SOL unless perhaps you put up with it being connected to just one machine ? (& then print whatever you want from the machine with the local printer by selecting from your network ? You'll need 'whatever s/w' on both machines for this to work) - that's a bit of an imperfect solution to say the least ! , but if this is home users with only occassional printing they may well be able to live with the idea ?

I have the Lexmark X6170 Multi-Func. I finally got it to share, but only the printing. It was between two XP machines and 1 ME machine. The XPs were no problem but the ME machine was a booger. I had to unplug the printer from the XP computer and plug it into the ME machine, install the software, and then plug it back into the first machine, then run the Add new printer routine and select network printer and let it search the network until it found the printer. For some reason when you hit print, the printing monitor box pops up on the XP machine, prints the document then closes. There's nothing that shows up on the ME machine.
    P.S this was after several frustrating hours of trying to get it to work on my print server that's connected directly to the lan with my other printers( Samsung laser and Epson photo.) I know this is kludgy but it worked for me.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Install the software on the laptop, then plug the printer in to it. Make sure it works correctly. Then move printer back to the Win 98 machine. Make sure you set the printer to share. Reboot both machines. Use the add printer wizard on the laptop to install the printer as a network printer.

Should print fine then.

Actually, talk him into XP on the machine.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    Install the software on the laptop,..
    Should print fine then..
    Or it would if it was just a printer driver (or I suppose if you only want printing function as evidenced by Jwhart ), but its not, its multifunction, fax/scanning services & such won't work with this approach in a combined driver as the transports & links for those services won't be available in a different o/s & the driver will fail to load, no doubt since lexmark say it can't work this way, they've already tested & found this to be the case.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    That's right. He said he wanted to be able to print to it from the laptop. Since it's a usb printer, you install the software, I don't know why this works, but it usually does.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Well I hadn't tried attaching the printer to the laptop.... and I'll offer that as another option for me to try... but if lexmark says it won't work I don't see why I'd mess with it anymore... a print server is out of the question as she needs to use the scanner on the desktop... I'll just convinvce her to update to xp... it's a P3 750 with I think 256mb RAM.... should be ok as long as the HD is decent...