Avg
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avg

Avg

I know some here ( at least in the past ) have used it as their anti-virus of choice but I was wondering how good it is considering that it is free.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

We have McAffee (licsenced) running on our network. I, on the other hand, run AVG on my machine and it has caught things McAfee missed more than once. I also run it on my machines at home. Just keep it updated.

I like charging customers to remove viruses who use the free antivirus programs. Got one on my bench right now infact.

When I suggested the customer pruchase a antivirus program his response was: but I already have an antivirus program, AVG, and it was free!

My response: and it has done a great job of keeping your system clean. That will be $29.99 for the virus removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Damned Angel
    I like charging customers to remove viruses who use the free antivirus programs. Got one on my bench right now infact.

When I suggested the customer pruchase a antivirus program his response was: but I already have an antivirus program, AVG, and it was free!

My response: and it has done a great job of keeping your system clean. That will be $29.99 for the virus removal.
    I know what you mean though I can say the same thing for norton/mcaffee being installed. I was wondering how well it worked as I have a customer who has both norton and avg on his system and is having some problems. the norton is 2002 though it says his subscription is valid through June.

Quote Originally Posted by Damned Angel

hehehe Oh yeah except thats 40.00 bucks flat
    and by the way can ya get yer friends on AVG
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I've used AVG for about what? 4 or 5 years now? The only problem I had was the spybot virus was infecting my system, it'd find it but it kept coming back. Bought a firewall router and it stopped.

I tell my customers the real deal. I explain to them I have a free virus scanner available or they could purchase one. I inform them that when you pay for the scanners you get support from the company for that product for typically one year (AVG, when purchased, comes with two years I've been told by my administrator). I then explain that free probably means it is the last product they update when there is a new virus out. I also explain that if a large priority update comes out the update servers sometimes become bogged down so much you can't get a connection. Then I tell them regardless of what you decide, you MUST keep the scanner updated. I often suggest they check for updates before they check their email. I then tell them there is no such thing as 100% protection but if they're updated and don't open things from places or people they don't know, they should be ok. I also stress that if they get a question up on the screen that they aren't sure of click NO or cancel or the X in the corner. I also tell them quick calls about, "what does this mean?", usually don't bother me.

I've not had a problem with AVG on my machines since I started using it. I have seen machines that AVG doesn't work on. But I've seen the same for everything under the "Scanner sun". I've had machines run an AVG then Norton, then panda, trend micro and finally bitdefender and they all find something. So between paying for a virus scanner that doesn't always work, or downloading one for free that doesn't always work. I'll go with the free one thank you...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

california, where anyone can be governor!
    i use avast and it has never let me down.

keep in mind there are a lot of people who will find a way to get a virus no matter what they use...they'll click ok to anything.....they are usually the same people that I tell to not let weatherbug on their system no matter what and the next time i see them weatherbug is back on....

yeah I had all sorts of people complain about how they lost weatherbug so now with firefox I put on the Foxcast or whatever it's called... that is usually enough for them...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I've used AVG (free version) exclusively for about five years now, and it has never let me down.

Of course, I'm not a moron (in computer terms, at least). We all know morons are capable of getting viruses no matter WHAT protection is installed in their machines...
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

For Free, I switched to Avast from AVG.
    For Pay , NAV.
    Standalone NOD/McAfee (click that codec link in my sig)

"...as I have a customer who has both norton and avg on his system and is having some problems...."

Small wonder then, really. Anti-virus products are notorious for not playing well together. If they don't clash directly, they cancel each other out and crap gets in.

I have, at one time or another, used McAfee and Norton and, aside from resenting the fact one never actually 'owned' the software one paid for, I resented the drag on the computer and the almost inevitable clashes with other software.
    So I tried Avast and didn't like care for it much (whatever skin I chose to make it more accessable) and then switched to AVG 6. I am now on AVG 7 Free. While it had some major update server problems at the beginning of the year, that's been all sorted - and it seems to do its job well enough. I also use a-squared, which I'd recommend for *any* AV user, as an additional protective layer.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

I'm cautious with my email, use pop-up, ad and spyware blocker software, turned off Messenger and I don't make a practice of visiting sites historically rife with viral challenges - but as mentioned above, *no* product out there - retail or freeware - is going to give you guaranteed 100% protection.
    Last edited by bazcook; March 16th, 2005 at 10:54 AM.

well personally I'm not a fan of norton though we are technically a norton shop. I uninstalled AVG ( with the understanding he could always go back to that when his norton subscription ran out. And as I figured that cleared up his trouble. I figured he might as well get his money's worth, after all as clam said ( good to hear from you clammy by the way ! ) depending on the person no matter what protection they have some will still get infected.....

thanks for all the input I have never used either avg or avast so was unsure of how good they really are.

I think that the conclusion here is that AVG and Avast are good, but only as good as free can reasonably be!

Then again, no AV gets it all, we've been inundated with boot sector virus problems this year and most of the affected users have been running AV software. The Compaq on the bench at the moment was running Norton Systemworks but still got hit. One of our spare machines here also got hit and it was running NAV 2003, fully up to date.

Following the bloatware that was Norton 2004, and all the "issues" connected with it, I went right off Norton for a while. Having recently deployed a couple of 2005 installations for customers I must admit to being impressed, even the activation thingy has worked seamlessly... When I re-image this box (I do this every 3 months or so) this evening I'll give it a try on here.

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

I admit I like 2005 much better than 2004... but it's jsut too bulky when a little bit of knowledge and AVG certainly protects me

I use and recomend AVG for home users since it is free. But of course for companies I have used Trend's Small Business, eTrust, NAV. I stay away from McAfee as I have had many issues over the years with it. On all AV's I have noticed one would catch one virus but might miss a very select few in certain cases. Whenever cleaning a machine I always double hit it with different AV's web and installed type. I have seen Microsoft employees with eTrust on their laptops. Also, curious about Microsofts new venture into the AV world. I already like their new spyware proggy.
    To each his/her own.