Copyright discussion - calling DA !!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Copyright discussion - calling DA !!!

Talking Copyright discussion - calling DA !!!

Err DA ..

Quote Originally Posted by Da's sig line
    The above post is © Damned Angel 1999-Present
    You know they don't ? They all 'belong' to Jupiter media (or whatever corporate machine fancies buying 'us') & when you ticked 'a fool box' you signed away your 'ownership' ?

If you didn't - you do now !

Personally I think all of copyright is particularly stinky, but here I think its extra stinky as its not like we get paid .. personally I think you should 'own' your own stuff, its your opinion or thoughts & your originality & you aren't strictly contracted to produce it, but as far as I know 'corporate machine' takes ownership of 'this' (your 'work' at WD i.e your posts), whether you like it or not !!!

Well, I'm not a legal person (I mean, I'm legally a person, but not with legal qualifications... ) but I don't think any of the legals I've noticed on the site are quite that bad.

I suspect you're talking of the Web Site User Agreement and AUP Agreement?

Particularly things like:

"you are granting Jupitermedia Corp., its successors and assignees, a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to use, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content on the site to which it was contributed" ?

If this is the case, I would understand it to mean we retain ownership of copyright as author of our own work but grant a license for Jupiter to use it, and to continue to use it. The license is non-exclusive, so others, including ourselves can also be licensed to use the material, but another part of the agreement says it can't be sourced from this site.

That's how it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    ..If this is the case, I would understand it to mean we retain ownership of copyright as author of our own work but grant a license for Jupiter to use it, and to continue to use it. The license is non-exclusive, so others, including ourselves can also be licensed to use the material, but another part of the agreement says it can't be sourced from this site.

That's how it seems to me.
    Who's confus-ed now ? Me or you ? - I'm sure what you just said means I don't 'own' my posts ? - I might still 'technically' but since 'corporate machine' owns it as well, then they can do whatever they please with it & it seems to me I can't stop them ? (I 'dunno either' also not being a lawyer !)

"You will not post any copyrighted material, nor link to any copyrighted material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the legal owners of the copyrights have created to make that material freely available to the general public), unless that copyright is owned by you or by these Forums. "

Any reason in particular you need to complain about every little thing these days Ed?

Quote Originally Posted by Damned Angel
    Any reason in particular you need to complain about every little thing these days Ed?
    Any reason in particular that you choose to take every little thing I say as a complaint, these days DA ?

Its in the lounge complete with smilies, get your humour chip overhauled & also your sig line, as both would appear to be a little off beam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Any reason in particular that you choose to take every little thing I say as a complaint, these days DA ?

Its in the lounge complete with smilies, get your humour chip overhauled & also your sig line, as both would appear to be a little off beam
    You really are becoming a crotchety old man

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    You really are becoming a crotchety old man
    Here we go off a sidetrack .. I'm a crotchety old man ? .. err just who's taking this 'over seriously' & who ain't ?

I ain't the one who's got my knickers in a twist as some fool english guy didn't realise that the american sense of humour, when practicised by many, seems to preclude any 'piss-taking' whatsover ?

As Trip likes to say ... Sheesh !

(I'd better edit that & add a bit, or this is gonna get worse ! .. I was merely pointing out that despite what DA's sig line may say he doesn't own the copyright of anything he does here, Jupiter media do (apparently 'as well' as the indivual, I've discovered, now thanks to Platypus) & then communication of intent broke down, & humour seems to have gotten translated into attack, by someone who I think is being crotchety & not me !)
    Last edited by confus-ed; March 17th, 2005 at 09:20 AM.

Is that an apology, or at least an effort to keep things cool?

Take it from me –ed, someone wholes taken you at face value, and taken you personally, you come off like a condescending nutjob when you start stuff like this. Then, when you get the desired ill willed retort, you try to twist things, and say that you are always misunderstood, and that everyone else has the “attitude”.

Face it man, you’re the one at fault here, and you Owe DA an apology, at very least for not making your intended effort clear from the get-go…

Banned
    Here we go off a sidetrack .. I'm a crotchety old man ? .. err just who's taking this 'over seriously' & who ain't ?

I ain't the one who's got my knickers in a twist as some fool english guy didn't realise that the american sense of humour, when practicised by many, seems to preclude any 'piss-taking' whatsover ?

As Trip likes to say ... Sheesh !
    Back in my dayyyyyyy

So do you just get this way when the old folks home doesn't have enough tapioca pudding for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Is that an apology, or at least an effort to keep things cool?

Take it from me –ed, someone wholes taken you at face value, and taken you personally, you come off like a condescending nutjob when you start stuff like this. Then, when you get the desired ill willed retort, you try to twist things, and say that you are always misunderstood, and that everyone else has the “attitude”.

Face it man, you’re the one at fault here, and you Owe DA an apology, at very least for not making your intended effort clear from the get-go…
    When you two have finnished stirring it up & instantly jumping on me, perhaps you'd like to read the edit ?

Lots of conclusions all ready arrived at & from where I'm sat none of them by me !

Banned
    When you two have finnished stirring it up & instantly jumping on me, perhaps you'd like to read the edit ?

Lots of conclusions all ready arrived at & from where I'm sat none of them by me !
    Too much rain to play shuffle board?

Icy cold bed pans...

Nope, not raining

(nice sidestep btw - don't dwell on the 'we just turned up to make sure it got good & propper stirred' aspects will you ? I think I might as well just ask for this one to get closed or deleted .)

Nope, not raining

(nice sidestep btw - don't dwell on the 'we just turned up to make sure it got good & propper stirred' aspects will you ? I think I might as well just ask for this one to get closed or deleted .)
    So what you are saying is...You were playing with DA, he took it seriously (which I think was your intention, as you weren’t forthright as to what your intention really was), we came in to remind you of how condescending you can be, then turn it into a light hearted joke fest at your expense, and now you're the one that's getting all miffed...that's great!

You got to be consistent, if you wish to elicit a lighthearted response from others, you too need to provide lightheartedness…

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    So what you are saying is...You were playing with DA, he took it seriously (which I think was your intention, as you weren’t forthright as to what your intention really was), we came in to remind you of how condescending you can be, then turn it into a light hearted joke fest at your expense, and now you're the one that's getting all miffed...that's great!

You got to be consistent, if you wish to elicit a lighthearted response from others, you too need to provide lightheartedness…
    I'm not miffed, not one bit, but it seems as if DA is or might be, so rather than give you & your fellow stirrer more opportunity to enjoy yourselves, I thought it better that this got closed, as its apparent to me at least, that DA didn't see the smilies & therefore didn't 'crack on' (as you seem suddenly very well versed in UK slang) - but no the wooden spoon team turned up looking for some work ! - your reverse blame tactics are also, sadly far too familiar