Outlook Express, no new messages

Thread: Outlook Express, no new messages

Outlook Express, no new messages

This is really annoying, its easy to fix but I really don't want to do it daily.

Situation:
    Outlook Express, 2 IMAP accounts.

Problem:
    One account does not download new massages daily.

Solution:
    Delete the account and set it up again.

It works fine after I've setup the account again, but the following day its the same ... how annoying is that? I've tried all the 'check new messages', 'all messages', 'synchronise IMAP mailboxes' stuff but nothing seems to work except deleting the account. Would appreciate some suggestions.

I assume both are set to be checked during syncronization?

While this may not be the solution you're looking for have you tried thunderbird? ********thunderbird.com
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

yeh both are checked during synch.

I personally use TB but these are for the "users" so I want to keep it as simple as possible and not give them any new software.

Its an outlook express software problem on that machine as the account works fine on others. I wish I could find the answer to it.

Are the machines are updated completely?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Updated in what way? latest version of OExpress?

They're all on XP SP1 OExpress 6, six identical boxes.

well if they're sp1 they're not COMPLETELY updated but other than SP2 are all the other updates done to the system via windowsupdates? I remember seeing a culmunative update for OE on there somwhere sometime...

But if all six machines are on SP1 and behaving fine, why is this one which is virtually identical playing up? I'm not sure upgrading to SP2 would make a difference but I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by buksida
    But if all six machines are on SP1 and behaving fine, why is this one which is virtually identical playing up? ..
    As a 'general answer' (as I've looked at this thread a few times & thought 'I dunno what the hell is doing this' ) because maybe all that 'patching of patching of patches' stuff applies ?

M$ have cracked onto this issue now post sp2, & patches now come in various flavours (there's a KB about this somewhere, which just as now I can't locate) which should in theory stop machines being apparently different in behaviour because of order of patching.

I'm not certain this will apply here, but I'd say its possible.

Well I wasn't really telling you to update to SP2, just wanted to make sure all other updates were done.

But there might be a work around perhaps... we use dunnow here to create disks that setup our dialup accounts... is there a program you could find that would re-enter the information perhaps? Like running Dunnow on bootup or something... I dunno... but if yer not looking to change the way things look for the customer maybe the best thing is incredimail as it's pretty much OE with a candy coating... but reading this I'd try a repair install...

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_r...e_and_oe_6.htm

Out of curiosity, have you checked for ad/spy/malware?