Firewire causes PC to turned on

Thread: Firewire causes PC to turned on

Firewire causes PC to turned on

I'm running on WinXP sp1. Gigabyte GA-7VRXP. AMD 1.8 Ghz. personally assembled PC.

Problem: after installing new PCI Firewire card. My PC seem to be always turned-on.

I install the card onto the slot, but when I plug in the electrical cord to casing. It turned on automatically. (this should'nt happen).

Then I went to check the Firewire to see if it's working. It working fine. Check on the Device Manager, no conflicts, The device is working properly.

I shutdown my PC... it turns on again! after it went dead for split second.
    Confused, I turned it off by pressing the power button manually for period of time. Just before it enters Windows welcome screen (still in bios).

Plug off the electrical cord for safety. I unplug the Firewire card. Then I plug the pc back. No surprise. My PC didn't automatically on. This is what it supposed to be.
    Shut it off.

I tried to plug my Firewire card onto different slot from the first. It does the same thing. Automatic.
    I check the Device Manager. See the Firewire properties. Check under Power Management.
    I've notice that the Check box of "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is grey-ed. Cannot be check.
    Not like the ones in USB's Power Management.
    I conclude that this is the cause of it. It seems that the Firewire card never goes off. thus tells the PC to do so too.

My question: Why this is happening? and how to solve it?
    Please assistance. Thx

-----------------
    cheers,
    yas

Quote Originally Posted by yas
    ..Problem: after installing new PCI Firewire card. My PC seem to be always turned-on.

I install the card onto the slot, but when I plug in the electrical cord to casing. It turned on automatically. (this should'nt happen)...
    Welcome to WD forums Yas .

Nope it definately shouldn't happen !!! but it can't if you take the plug OUT !! which is what you should be doing

(never ever work on your machine when its still plugged in, you might damage it & more importantly YOU !)

Here look in bios for some value like 'allow devices to wake' (from sleep or standby mode) generally found in the power management section of bios, turning this off should sort this out .