outlook 2000 password protection

Thread: outlook 2000 password protection

outlook 2000 password protection

whats going on gang?
    i have been searching for outlook 2000 password protection, but i found from mycrosoft that there is no way to password protect outlook 2000/xp, you can only password protect personal folders. i also found programs that can do it, but i need to pay for them, i am looking for FREEWARE that will password protect outlook 2000 when opening outlook.
    any of you have used such program?

thanks in advanced.

peligroso.
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

What service are you running to get the mail? Internet Mail, Exchange? The reason I ask, with Internet mail, even Micosoft Mail, you can just not put in the save password checkmark, this with a protected PST will prevent anyone from trying to login under someone elses profile. However, that doesn't protect the Program itself.

What About NTFS permissions on the Outlook program files themselves? If you're in a domain, you can chose either a local or domain group to pull this off.

Just a few ideas...

thanks for your reply and sorry, i should of given you more info.

one of the directors in the hospital wants to lock his email, he wants a password protection when you open outlook 2000.
    we are running exchange 2000 (soon to upgrade to 2003) and there is no way on putting a password on it, i have tried just about everything, and what i have found so far, is the info that i put at the beginning of the thread.

While I'm not sure how it would affect the program, have you tried adding a password directly to the EXE?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...Password.shtml

http://www.salfeld.com/body_exe_password.htm

They're not free but at least their shareware so you can see if it fits the problem. $20 isn't much of an investment if he's serious about protecting it and this works...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I trust that he wants to limit access to his information more than anything else? Why not just set the PC to lock (And/or teach him how to lock it) after X amount of time?

the main reason why he wants to lock up outlook is because that is his 2nd pc. he has one in the office and another one in the engineering conference room. he also wants to have other people use that pc, but since he is a director, he does not want to have sensitive information out in the email where other people can see it. i suggested locking the pc (win2000) did not like the idea. suggested not to have outlook on that pc, did not like the idea. suggested to not have outlook and use our outlook web access, he said it was too slow.... cant realy please this guy. actually if he wants that he should just buy the program that does it.

Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by PeLiGrOsO
    i suggested locking the pc (win2000) did not like the idea. suggested not to have outlook on that pc, did not like the idea.
    What about logoff? This way other users can use the PC without having access to his stuff (unless they have admin rights on that PC, which nobody should have). They just have to log on with their own account and log off when they are done.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

If you are using Exchange, the messages would be on the server anyway (Unless you are pulling them into a PST). So even if someone else logs on to the machine with local admin rights they wouldn't be able to see his email.

If he has sensitive email, then he shouldn't be accessing it from a "community use" pc anyway.

Don't you just love how some of these guys ask you to do something but say no to all the normal answers/responses. When I get into something like that with someone I ask them, "which is of paramount concern to you? Speed or security?" Most of those types of people say security so I'd say then use the web access on that machine... your want it faster then get me funding for a faster network

But seriously I want to know what you finally choose to do...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.