XP splash screen hangs ....

Thread: XP splash screen hangs ....

XP splash screen hangs ....

Guy check my post out , here is link i dont want to reload all info , its list more info...

last post
    Last edited by Talonboy; March 24th, 2005 at 10:29 AM.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the mods and admins are against linking to competing sites, so why not just repost here? - It's only a quick copy & paste.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    I'm pretty sure the mods and admins are against linking to competing sites, so why not just repost here? - It's only a quick copy & paste.
    I don't think linking to other 'competing' sites (in quotes as members are hopefully just trying to fix things/help & are not concerned with such matters) is against any rules, if its in the context of 'I need help' ..

.. but it sure smacks of laziness ! - I/we have enough trouble establishing 'applicable symptoms' when a post is started here, never mind taking over some other forums jumbled answers & questions

Talonboy: Please starighten out just what is up other than 'hanging' & just what you've tried - & post that here.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed

Talonboy: Please starighten out just what is up other than 'hanging' & just what you've tried - & post that here.
    arent i suppose to post problem (hanging) and things i tried...

ORGINAL PROBLEM - Link gone

Ok this is what happend, i shut PC down. Some nights not all the time but when i start it up i have a problem. This is what it does. It will run through its check then when it gets to the pic i posted it hangs, now if i leave it alone , it will reboot itself after time, hang again reboot then the third time it will hang but then start windows ???? Why the #$@@# would it do this ???

Start menu -> Run -> eventvwr.msc

Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 4226
    Source: Tcpip
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_TCPIP_TCP_CONNECT_LIMIT_REACHED
    Message: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent (incomplete) TCP connect attempts.

Details
    Message: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent (incomplete) TCP connect attempts.

Explanation
    The TCP/IP stack in Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed limits the number of concurrent, incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts. When the limit is reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and resolved at a fixed rate so that there are only a limited number of connections in the incomplete state. During normal operation, when programs are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no limit is imposed on the number of connections in the incomplete state. When the number of incomplete connections exceeds the limit, for example, as a result of programs connecting to IP addresses that are not valid, connection-rate limitations are invoked, and this event is logged.

Establishing connection–rate limitations helps to limit the speed at which malicious programs, such as viruses and worms, spread to uninfected computers. Malicious programs often attempt to reach uninfected computers by opening simultaneous connections to random IP addresses. Most of these random addresses result in failed connections, so a burst of such activity on a computer is a signal that it may have been infected by a malicious program.

Connection-rate limitations may cause certain security tools, such as port scanners, to run more slowly.

User Action
    This event is a warning that a malicious program or a virus might be running on the system. To troubleshoot the issue, find the program that is responsible for the failing connection attempts and, if the program might be malicious, close the program as follows.

To close the program

At the command prompt, type
    Netstat –no
    Find the process with a large number of open connections that are not yet established.
    These connections are indicated by the TCP state SYN_SEND in the State column of the Active Connections information.
    Note the process identification number (PID) of the process in the PID column.
    Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then click Task Manager.
    On the Processes tab, select the processes with the matching PID, and then click End Process.
    If you need to select the option to view the PID for processes, on the View menu, click Select Columns, select the PID (Process Identifier) check box, and then click OK.

still does it on boot.
    Last edited by Talonboy; March 24th, 2005 at 10:29 AM.

Anytime I have random reboots, I check fans and temps first, then swap RAM first, PSU next.

Also, let it sit at a command prompt from a boot disk, see if it reboots to determine hardware vs. OS.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    .. but it sure smacks of laziness ! - I/we have enough trouble establishing 'applicable symptoms' when a post is started here, never mind taking over some other forums jumbled answers & questions
    Exactly!! (minus the smilies of course), not to mention, going to another site to read posts tends to distract - that's how I found WD initially, I searched for a driver, and ended up at another site, and followed a link on that site to WD, and I never left.

So, maybe linking to other sites isn't always a bad thing???

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Anytime I have random reboots, I check fans and temps first, then swap RAM first, PSU next.

Also, let it sit at a command prompt from a boot disk, see if it reboots to determine hardware vs. OS.

It has something to do with TCPIP , has to be trying to connect to internet etc or something. I just cant figure it out. RAM fine , temps i always monitor fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Talonboy
    ..It has something to do with TCPIP .
    So go back then & read the bit you quoted from some Kb without making it clear that you were [shakes head]...

This bit:-
    Establishing connection–rate limitations helps to limit the speed at which malicious programs, such as viruses and worms, spread to uninfected computers. Malicious programs often attempt to reach uninfected computers by opening simultaneous connections to random IP addresses. Most of these random addresses result in failed connections, so a burst of such activity on a computer is a signal that it may have been infected by a malicious program.
    is probably a clue !!! P2p programs (sharing stuff like Kazza, Bit Torrent etc) can also do this, but I'd have expected you to know you had those & probably pulling your lan/net connection as you boot may help.

This is a way to reset it:- How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

is probably a clue !!! P2p programs (sharing stuff like Kazza, Bit Torrent etc) can also do this, but I'd have expected you to know you had those & probably pulling your lan/net connection as you boot may help.

This is a way to reset it:- How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP[/QUOTE]

check that already. I will try reset later after work.

man this site has changed a lot since i last been here and not for the best , thanks guy ill search else where.

Quote Originally Posted by Talonboy
    man this site has changed a lot since i last been here and not for the best , thanks guy ill search else where.
    Aww-didums .. take your ball home then ..

This is all you managed to ask, in anyway resembling a question
    Ok this is what happend, i shut PC down. Some nights not all the time but when i start it up i have a problem. This is what it does. It will run through its check then when it gets to the pic i posted it hangs, now if i leave it alone , it will reboot itself after time, hang again reboot then the third time it will hang but then start windows ???? Why the #$@@# would it do this ???
    & you got answered.

yep..I would have thought that this:

This event is a warning that a malicious program or a virus might be running on the system. To troubleshoot the issue, find the program that is responsible for the failing connection attempts and, if the program might be malicious, close the program as follows.
    would at least have been a hint of what kind of trouble there might be
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."