Hi guys,

I have a Gateway 500S P4 256 RAM 20GB HD on the bench. Customer gets message:

"Windows-Registry Recovery

One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful"

She had another repair shop rebuild the OS twice now to try to fix this. She then gets this message again and after a few days, the pc will not start. The pc comes up with the message after a so-called successful recovery on the next startup again. A few days later, it can't start.

I was able to start the pc in Safe Mode so I felt encouraged to go ahead and format the drive NTFS and reload XP Home. After I installed Service Pack 2, on the restart, (bear in mind this is a fresh reload after formatting), here is the same message again on my bench as well.

I have been to Microsoft and read up on this message and saw that no further user intervention is required. That isn't too helpful at this point. I realize what Windows does to react to this, but that isn't shedding any light on the cause.

I also googled it, and found someone else with the few-days-to-no start-at-all scenario, and no answer as to cause.

Any of you guys run into this? Possible hardware connection here?