512 pc3200 DDR 400 (recently added)
    450w PSU
    Liteon DVD
    Pioneer 104 DVD-RW
    200 WD HD 7200rpm
    Mvidia GeForce Ti 4600
    WIN XP PRO w/SP2

DVD burner works as far as reading.

Ok, so I just recently installed the 512 ram and after this, I tried to burn a CD and keep getting failures. Failed with Nero, all versions. Tried Promo and the default windows burning tool (where you just drag and drop to the burner). I got an error from one of the problems stating something like, “Power calibration failure.” I’m thinking since I installed the Ram, somehow it is just enough to take up more power than my PSU is configure for. I read in another forum that some1 was having the same problem and his PSU was set at 300. He changed it to 400 and it was working fine. Anyone know how to do this or is it a different problem I’m having? I will take the RAM off and try burning and see if I still have problems. If it does work, it really would be inconvenient to have to do this every time I have to burn.

Thanks for any advise.

The PSU cannot be set for higher power, it is what is is, if yours is a 450w, its more than enough.

Also your faster RAM, is slowing down to work with your slower RAM, its always better to keep the same brand/speed/size RAM modules.

After googling, it seems that some have suggested different media, and some say its down to the drive giving problems.

excerpt:

A power calibration error means there's some media incompatibility or you have a dirty (or weakening) lasers so that your drive cannot burn a DVD.

What happens is that the burner tests the media you are using by writing a packet to a dedicated zone on the disk. If the test fails the medium is declared bad by the drive and you get a power calibration error.

As a first step try a different brand of DVD blanks.

Your second step might be to see if you can clean the DVD lens. If it's fairly new have it checked under warranty.

OK - just as a shot - open PC back up - disconnect all cables from DVD drive ( power, ide on both ends) then reinsert - Why you ask - I've had similar problems ( not that exact error ) after upgrading some component - AND INADVERTANTLY KNOCKED SOMETHING LOOSE
    I remember a 2 day ordeal after a hard drive upgrade - kept getting blue screen of death - had to reseat video card
    So take agood look around and reseat your stuff ( including reseating the cables on the dvd)

HTH
    All who wander are not lost

What were we talkin bout ?