Win Xp and D-Link DFE-650

Thread: Win Xp and D-Link DFE-650

Win Xp and D-Link DFE-650

I have recently put XP on my Dell Laptop. The laptop contains a PCMCIA Ethernet card (D-Link DFE-650). In device manager, the device shows a yellow exclamation point. When I look under properties of that device, it gives me the code “This devices cannot start. (Code 10).” I have downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer’s website but, it will not accept it as an “updated driver.” I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the device. I have tried the troubleshooter. I have tried moving the device to a different slot. To no avail.

Please help. I cannot activate XP until I get the Ethernet Card working, and I have had no problems using the card with Win98 SE for the past several years.

Sarah Crain
    Contract Clerical

Did you load WinXP over the top of win98?
    As to activation just choose the telephone option and enter your country and it will give you a toll free number to call to activate it
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Re: Ferrit

No, I did not install XP on top of Win 98. It is a new hard drive.
    Thanks for the reminder about telephone activation.

No prob just trying to get an idea whats going on>
    Well Code 10 usually means it cant assign resources to the device
    you may have to try to alter the resources for that device
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Re: Ferrit

I did notice that it had not set an IRQ to the device. Is that what you mean? If so, I did try to change that once and it didn't help, but maybe I did something incorrectly. I'm not real familiar with IRQ settings. (The device has a ?? by the IRQ on the rescources page under the properties ofthat device.)

Unhappy IRQ Settings

Please clarify as to what needs to be done with my IRQ settings. I am not familiar with this issue at all. Do I need to go in and change the IRQ manually?

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Before you try the IRQ settings, look up your laptop model number on Dell's support site. There may be drivers and or a patch needed for the pcmcia.

Drivers for that particular model card are native to Windows. Do you have any other cards? Modem or something you could try and see if it works when inserted?

Try removing the card, un-installing in device manager. Reboot, and check for new hardware.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Unhappy MobilePCPhysician

There are no updates for the PCMCIA on Dell's website. Previously, when I took the ethernet card out, it automatically removed it from the device manager. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing it several times. Xp automatically loads the drivers and will not let me use the manufacturer drivers, or give me the option of selecting drivers of my own.

I will try installing a modem, but again, I didn't have any problems until I upgraded to XP.