how do i access my network behind a router

Thread: how do i access my network behind a router

how do i access my network behind a router

I have a 3 computer at home. It's behind a netgear router.

The network is setup this way.

I have my dsl modem connected to my router and my computers connected to my router. I think that's a pretty standand setup.

I would like to acces my network from other places. I know my dsl modem address. How do i access my computers behind the router.

I will be using pcanywhere 11.0.

For example say my modem is 65.43.20.10 and the first computer behing my router is 192.168.0.2. Do I need to forward a port in the router for each computer? Is the format something like 65.43.20.10:1000

If 1000 would be the port I would forward for a pc?
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once............Buckaroo Banzai

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc
    I have a 3 computer at home. It's behind a netgear router.

The network is setup this way.

I have my dsl modem connected to my router and my computers connected to my router. I think that's a pretty standand setup.

I would like to acces my network from other places. I know my dsl modem address. How do i access my computers behind the router.

I will be using pcanywhere 11.0.

For example say my modem is 65.43.20.10 and the first computer behing my router is 192.168.0.2. Do I need to forward a port in the router for each computer? Is the format something like 65.43.20.10:1000

If 1000 would be the port I would forward for a pc?

You are very close. You will need to forward the port you want to connect to . Now here are some considerations:

1) If you only want to connect to one PC on your home network you will be fine. Since the port forwarding is a static mapping of a port to a specific ip address if you forward port 1000 to internal ip 192.168.0.2 you will not be able to connect to 192.168.0.3 using that same port. You will need to create a seperate mapping.

2) You can jump from one PC to another on your network, but lag can be very hindering. For example, you could connect to 192.168.0.2, and then connect from that PC to 192.168.0.3.

3) PC Anywhere does not use port 1000 by default for version 11 it uses port 5631 tcp and 5632 udp.

Thanks....
    I assuming format 65.32.40.2:1000 is correct ?

the ip above are just made up ones but you get the idea.

The ip is separated by a colon where the port is.....
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once............Buckaroo Banzai

You can specify ports in pcAnywahere also therefore on each pc you could specify a different TCP & UDP port for each pc and forward these on the router to allow access to all three pc's.

emr

Thanks........
    I am still wondering if this format is correct 65.73.20.5:5631

modem is 65.73.20.5
    router is 192.168.0.1
    pcanywhere is forwarded in router to
    starting 5631 ending 5632

my setup is dsl => modem
    modem => router
    router => 3 different pcs

Thanks

Just a note but unless you have a very special dsl your ip will change regularily
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thanks ...
    Yea, I know I'm on a dynamic ip instead of a static. I can check and see what ip address my modem is on. It usually doesn't reset unless I reset the modem. I'm on 24 hours days a week.

I have just been having trouble accessing my network from the outside. I check around so more. I was trying to find out the right format to use.

ex. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5631
    modem ip address and then the pcanywhere port number that I forwarded in the router.

Thanks for the info.....

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc
    Thanks ...
    Yea, I know I'm on a dynamic ip instead of a static. I can check and see what ip address my modem is on. It usually doesn't reset unless I reset the modem. I'm on 24 hours days a week.

I have just been having trouble accessing my network from the outside. I check around so more. I was trying to find out the right format to use.

ex. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5631
    modem ip address and then the pcanywhere port number that I forwarded in the router.

Thanks for the info.....
    Easier if you tell us the router model number and we can check to see how you forward ports on that particular one. Generally you should have a page for port forwarding somewhere in the web administration interface of your router (assuming it has a web interface that is?).

You will need to input the internal IP address and the port number(s) specific to each pc if you want to forward to internal addresses; not the modem address. So for example: PC1 with and IP of 192.168.0.1 would have a port forwarding in the router to 192.168.0.1 then the port number. It is very possible that you can use the format you have described however as I said easier to tell us the router model so we can check for you.

As your WAN IP is dynamic sign up for a dynamic DNS service (this is free) such as available at http://www.dyndns.org and I personally use www.directupdate.net as the client on one of the pc's to send the updates of your WAN IP to the dynamic DNS servers. You may also be have a dynamic DNS facility inbuilt on the router and not require the client running on a pc.

This way you can use an address such as myhome.dyndns.org rather than having to use the numerical IP address every time you want to connect, and it is automatically updated evertime your ISP changes your WAN IP.

Hope this helps; any questions post back!

emr

Thanks that does help..
    My router is a Netgear Mr814 v2.
    i do go to an address to set my router up it's 192.168.0.1.
    Generally my other pc take the addresses 192.168.0.2 then.....3 and .....4

So, I can set the first pc to forward in my router 192.168.0.2 and set the port forwarding 5631(starting) and ending with 5632.

Then pc2 192.168.0.3 I could forward to something like 5633 and 5634.
    I would have to go to pcanywhere on that pc and change the address to 5633 and 5634.

The 3rd pc the same way.

Then to access it from the outside. I would enter the modem ip address. 68.132.45.5:5632 (that's just a made up ip address of course)

That would get me to the modem and then to port 5632 on the router which is forwarded to pc1.

That is what I'm hoping I can do.....

Yes, that should do it.

Good luck,

emr