True Image disabled CD & DVD??

Thread: True Image disabled CD & DVD??

Angry True Image disabled CD & DVD??

Running XPSP2, mounted an incremental backup made with Acronis True Image, now my CD and DVD drives are gone. Message in Device Manager is "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)". Disk Management (dmadmin) doesn't show them either, although they are both named in Device Manager.

But if I dual boot W2Kpro on the same machine, both drives are there and work fine.

Tried a System Restore to a point before I ran True Image, made no difference. Also tried uninstalling both devices, Found New Hardware located both but gave same message as above. Can't reinstall them, because drivers are available only on CD and DVD respectively. What's going on?

Appreciate any help.

True Image disabled CD & DVD??

Couldn't find anything about this from Acronis or anywhere else. Resolved the problem by restoring an image 2 weeks before the incident, and the drives came back. Weird.

I had the same thing occur with a machine that had roxio installed... I couldn't find anything that would work either... unfortunaely there was no image of the machine so had to format and reload, but I installed Roxio again and there wasn't a problem...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I'm still using True Image since I have had better luck with it than Ghost, but now I'm only making full backups and I'm not using the Image Browser. I think what happened is that IB mounted the image with the same drive letter as the first CD drive and that killed the string. I thought that mmc had a direct read on all devices, but apparently not. The bios was seeing the drives, but something in XP was not. Would like to find out where the problem really happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gheidenr
    Would like to find out where the problem really happens.
    I wish I could find quick solutions after hours of working at it.... I think all techs do
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I just got a response from Phant0m at the Acronis forum <www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65> that recommended I run the following .vbs script. I obviously don't need to now, but you might find it helpful to see where the problem [apparently] originated. Again, thanks for your interest. Maybe this will help someone else out sometime.

Option Explicit
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim WshShell, Message
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Cdr4_2K\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Cdralw2k\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Cdudf\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\UdfReadr\"
    Set WshShell = Nothing
    Message = "Your CD/DVD-Rom drives should now appear in Windows Explorer." & vbCR
    Message = Message & "You may need to reboot your computer to see the change."
    MsgBox Message, 4096,"Finished!"