Any Pocket PC techs?

Thread: Any Pocket PC techs?

Any Pocket PC techs?

The touch panel on my Pocket PC broke so I bought a new one on ebay for $20. After replacing it, I no longer get a video image (it still worked with the broken touch panel), the screen just stays white, but the computer is booting since I hear the windows startup sound after a few seconds.

I am having trouble getting the video ribbon cable connector attached properly but even if I hold it in myself I get no image whatsoever.

Could the motherboard or LCD screen be damaged? I hope not since the motherboard in it costs far more than even an expensive desktop motherboard.

By the way it's pretty crazy how things are packed close toghether on this motherboard which even has chips on both sides of it by many different manufacturers like intel, phillips, samsung, etc. It's also impressive to see how tiny the 400mhz cpu is and how it can survive with no heatsink or any cooling at all.

I usualy just junk the damn things when they break or stop working. its not worth the hassle for a 2 year old $250 peice of equipment (unless you got an expencive own with lots of accecorys)

I did not replace te last one because i wasn't using it, but if you want I can send you whats left of a HP 1910 for the cost of shipping /w 2 batterys etc.
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

Well it was well over $500 US and thats because I got a very good deal, I got a new $650 US model to replace it, but if I can fix this one I can get at least $200 US for it since I also have accessories.

The one I have that is broken is the iPaq 3955 and none of the parts are the same as the 1910 so that wouldn't help, but thanks for the offer.

It sounds as if the video ribbon cable is damaged, or not making good contact. A white screen indicated that the backlighting is working, which is the most common failure on lcd displays. If your LCD screen is not getting a proper ground or video signals you will receive a white or choppy dispaly.

My suggestion would be to visibly inspect the ribbon cable at it's connector on both the mainboard and the back of the LCD panel itself. Also make sure that when it's reinstalled that it's grounded properly.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Well after playing around with it a bit more, I figured out I was trying to fit the connector snaping thing (the part that holds and presses it against the conenctor on the motherboard) unside down, now that I put it in the right way it works find, but now it wont run off battery power anymore and the new touch panel doesnt seem to work, I might just sell it on ebay for someone that wants to fix it themselves, I was hoping to get $200 US for it but inthis condition hopefully I can get $100, unless I manage to get it working again.

I'm just glad the LCD works because it's worth more my itself then the entire pocket pc.