Do you own a handheld/pocketpc? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Do you own a handheld/pocketpc?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes more than one

7 20.00%
  • Yes I have one

16 45.71%
  • No I don't have one

12 34.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you own a handheld/pocketpc?

Red face

I've carried around the old Sony Clie SJ10 and SL20 (or was it the SL10 and SJ20?) units (the S*-10 died after being pretty much carried in my pocket for an entire year and getting the crap kicked out of it). The SL20 I sold to a friend when I got a Toshiba e755 (pity they're hard to find nowadays). The e755 has both SD and CF slots and Wi-Fi. I also got the keyboard (and got the hi-capacity battery pack for free!) for it. The thing is always at my waist, carrying my Quicken info, my Outlook contacts/calendar (mail on occasion), an IRC client, and an IM client (Agile Messenger - free!).

I also do a LOT of e-text reading (currently trying to find electronic copies of all the books I own) on the thing (The sidewheel is a godsend for that). I also (with a massive CF card) compress DVDs to be watchable on it.

If you get a PDA, get a screen protector. They're cheap and they work.

The keyboard was nice for when I was taking notes in class with it. I recommend this unit mightily.

If you get a PPC unit (and you use Microsoft Money or Quicken), I highly recommend Pocket Quicken or Pocket Money. I wouldn't have a check/debit card if I didn't have this PDA.

It's also important to understand the difference of philosophy behind the units. The Palm units (particularly those that run PalmOS4) tend towards being extensions of you main computer, while the PPC units are small computers in their own right that recognize most common filetypes w/o having to run through the sync program (I commonly type stuff up on my PDA when there's nothing else around and then save it as a regular word doc, put it on the sd card, then use the SD card to transfer the DOC to a computer and print), which is a real boon when it comes to long runs.
    Last edited by 10of40; June 16th, 2005 at 09:51 AM.
    "I aspire sir, to be better than I am." -- Data, Star Trek: Nemesis

nope.

Okay, the title to this old thread showed up in Bold on my screen and I assumed it was new, voted and started to reply, only to realize it was somewhat "aged". Anyway, I have had a Palm Tungsten T neatly nestled in its Sync Cradle on my desk for over a year. I got it to evaluate its usefulness for our field Safety Reps, determined it was noy suitable, opting for Tablet PCs instead. It has remained on my desk, unused, ever since.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.