Do you own a handheld/pocketpc?

View Poll Results: Do you own a handheld/pocketpc?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes more than one

7 20.00%
  • Yes I have one

16 45.71%
  • No I don't have one

12 34.29%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you own a handheld/pocketpc?

Do you own a handheld/pocketpc?

I have been considering getting one. Of course the one I would buy is way too much money and I'm not sure I would utilize it. In other words would it turn into a $400-$500 novelty. Please tell us a little about your unit or your research on this topic. Thanks.

I just ordered a cheap organizer/pda from geeks.com so my wife has ability to keep address and calendar for the photography business.

16MB and 24.95 plus shipping gives us all the functionality we will need.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I currently have an ipaq 4100 (company owned), its decent, takes care of all my needs. - Next one I get will be one of the Linux based PDA's.

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar
    Get a Black Berry

also doubles as phone!

Ask adept

see here
    Last edited by Great White North; April 11th, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

I have 2, they are both paper weights.

the Palm 3 died (all it gives me is a command prompt and will nto accept input from touch pannel) so i replaced it with a HP 1910 pocket PC whihc i used a bit while in school, then it just sat in my pocket draining batterys and eventual got a broken screen.

so i would say they are going to be a novillty if your unsure. start cheap then if you do use it lots you can upgrade to something better when your more sure.
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

I was seriously looking at the BlackBerry. Good advice RM, that sounds like a plan I might use, unfortunately at times I can be impulsive when I'm shopping and I just go a little crazy.

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar
    The blackberry will also run irc

Did I mention it will work as a phone.

And email
    and......

Dam I want one bad can u tell!
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

Those blackberry's look awesome, but I won't get one cause I know I'd go nuts with it and run my bill way high using the data too much.

My first was a palm V. It was nice to have for a couple of years, then my husband bought me HP pocket pc 2200 (which now is a paperweight). Conviently, it started screwing up after I owned it about a year. Battery door kept popping open, the wireless socket (which I thought was too tight in the first place), the pins bent, so I couldn't use wireless, plus a host of other problem. My husband then bought me for my birthday, a palm tungsten C (wireless already in the pda). I love it. I use it for a backup for my checkbook (quicken is great). I also use for email and my datebook.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1
    I was seriously looking at the BlackBerry. Good advice RM, that sounds like a plan I might use, unfortunately at times I can be impulsive when I'm shopping and I just go a little crazy.
    Richard... care to go shopping with me?

I will have an XDA II at the end of the week for the tidy sum of £29.40 (about 50 bux). My father had his replaced as he managed to damage the power interface - I took a look at the damage and decided I was not up to soldering a nitcomb... so phatphones.com did it for me. Will let you know how I get on with it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have a Toshiba e310 which is now 3+ years old. No wireless, no wifi. I primarily use it for syncing/updating my calendar and contacts with outlook. I am in sales, and it is invaluable to have this info with me while out of the office. I dont use it for email. Will use pocket excel occasionally - I find pocket word is too cumbersome without a keyboard, although its useful if you want to bring copies of documents along.

Frequently use AvantGo, primarily while commuting (by train). I have a 512mb SD card installed, which I have loaded with mp3's. I have MS Pocket Streets installed, which is great while traveling. If you have Streets & Trips you can create custom maps.

I have looked at the pda/phone combinations and they don't excite me. I like having a very small phone that is convenient to carry. I frequently bring my phone and not my pda. Plus, if you want to use the pda while on the phone, then you need a headset as well.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I use pocket excel to track my mileage, and will sometimes compose emails on it as well. Also loaded up with a ton of games. I was thinking of ordering the add on keyboard for it, but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the cost.

My fav part is the wifi, so I can get net access while on the can! Instead of reading the newspaper, I can read the forums, slashdot, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute

My fav part is the wifi, so I can get net access while on the can! Instead of reading the newspaper, I can read the forums, slashdot, etc.....
    thanks for the mental image
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I have a Dell Axim x50v, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I use it at work for contact information and to keep track of future scheduling. The fun part of it is the WIFI, nearly every restaurant I go to has a wireless connection for me to play on. Plus having both SD and COmpact Flash capability I have tons of storage space on it for movies and such. There is all kinds of freeware too

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    thanks for the mental image
    Sorry, it doesn't have a built in cam, so a mental image is all you're gonna get !!