Drive no ready for access error - what is doing this?

Thread: Drive no ready for access error - what is doing this?

Question Drive no ready for access error - what is doing this?

I get an event id 15 error that says:
    The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, is not ready for access yet.
    the source is Disk

I get this error all the time, mostly when the drive is heavily accessed. The computer is quite new, so I think I have a hardware defect, and now is the time which I want to locate what is the problematic component.
    The settings of the computer are as follows:
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    2x160GB SATA HDDs in a RAID array
    Asus K8V SE Mother Board
    AMD Ahtlon 64bit 3400+ CPU
    1.5GB DDR PC-400 Memory

I heard that it might be the memory. I scanned the harddrives (including free space) and found nothing wrong. So any ideas what can cause this thing (and on my dream machine )?

Thanks.

I have a fairly new PC with a very similar configuration to yours. And I have been getting the same event error. In my case I have been able to locate the source of my problem. It's Norton Ghost 9.0. For some reason it's apparently in conflict with my hardware. If you have Ghost installed you can try going to Task Manager and in Processes end the Ghost service PQV2iSvc.exe. If you stop getting the error messages then you have found the cause. Of course, each time you restart your PC the Ghost service will restart. I'm still in communication with the Norton Ghost tech support over how to manage the problem because turning off the service obviously is not a good long term solution. Among other things it prevents the automatic scheduling of backups.

I think you just nailed it... I do have Ghost 9.0 installed
    I will try to kill the process and see what happens

please keep me updated here about what symantec has to say
    of course, disabling the process is not a good solution
    maybe it got something to do with DEP? I know I had an application that had a conflict with that

thanks.

If your problem is also Ghost, I'm afraid Norton don't seem to have an answer. They have been running me in circles doing various tests. The first suggestion they made was that I needed to update my BIOS and SATA/RAID drivers. I informed them that all my drivers and BIOS were the latest versions. So they had me run a bunch of tests. I sent them the results and they have just replied that I need to install the latest drivers and BIOS. I think the robot on the other end is programmed in a loop.

from a first look it seems to be the same problems as yours, I disabled the process and got no disk errors for the last couple of hours

thanks for the tip

yea, seems you are working with a looping robot on norton's side
    that's a shame
    let me know if anything turns out, I will be watching this thread

Thanks!

Yoavar,

No good news to report I'm afraid. I've received 7 emails from tech support full of suggested solutions. Not one worked. In fact for some reason Ghost has now stopped working altogether on my machine. I can only imagine this is due to my making one of the adjustments suggested. So I have returned my CD to Symantec and requested a refund. I'd rather have solved the problem. But it clearly isn't going to happen.

If you have had the product for 60 days or less, they have a no questions asked refund policy. See here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT.../1997422135852

bummer
    anyway, thanks for the update