XP install - won't get past "registering components" step

Thread: XP install - won't get past "registering components" step

XP install - won't get past "registering components" step

A while back, I tried to install SP2 for XP Pro and my machine went into a continuous boot loop. MS tech support couldn't resolve after numerous attempts and told me to reinstall XP, but we couldn't boot from the CD or anything. They thought I may have hardware issues. Took to a tech shop and found out my MB was fried, so I just got a replacement.

Now I installed the MB and tried to do a repair installation from my XP Pro upgrade CD (XP Home originally came with the machine). I enter the product key and it goes through the installation (I just click cancel on the "SISAGP.SYS" pop-up error and it continues) up until the "13 minutes left - registering components" step. I let this go for over an hour, and nothing happens. Can't ctrl+alt+del or anything, so I just turn it off and tried a few more times. Always gets hung up on this step.

Of course, I really want to save my data on the HD, so is there any way I can get past this step? Some notes: I don't have an internet connection. I just bought a USB HD in case I needed to wipe out the other drive. Should I try to install on this new drive? Would I have to unplug the internal HD and plug that one in? I'm really inexperienced at this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are using a different mother board your are probably out of luck doing a repair install. Windows XP usually does not let you do a repair install on a different mother board.

I usually do a repair instal on a new mother baoard with a Promise ide controller and use the F-6 to load the driver, like a SCSI device. This will usually let you get by the XP problem.

After rebooting the third time into the re-installed XP you can move the HDD to the mother board connector. Everything should work fine after that.

spoke with MS tech support and they say I should have uninstalled SP2, which caused the original boot loop problem, before I attempted a repair install. So, I just installed new, saved files on usb HD, reformatted internal HD, and started fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by tyamada
    If you are using a different mother board your are probably out of luck doing a repair install. Windows XP usually does not let you do a repair install on a different mother board.

I usually do a repair instal on a new mother baoard with a Promise ide controller and use the F-6 to load the driver, like a SCSI device. This will usually let you get by the XP problem.

After rebooting the third time into the re-installed XP you can move the HDD to the mother board connector. Everything should work fine after that.
    This is incorrect I do new motherboards and repair installs all the time and it rarely ever fails completely .
    Only reason I have seen for it to fail completely a time or two is when SP2 is in there and a pice of spyware called TV-Media is there
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    This is incorrect I do new motherboards and repair installs all the time and it rarely ever fails completely .
    Only reason I have seen for it to fail completely a time or two is when SP2 is in there and a pice of spyware called TV-Media is there
    You'r lucky I have had that problem with many mother boards, when the mother board died.

When XP first came out I had a friend that changed mother boards about every 6 months, he is a reseller and uses mother boards as test beds before he sells them. When he switched mother boards (different model) he could never get XP to repair install. I tried a third party IDE controller and was able to solve the problem with the BSOD and moving a HDD to a new mother board. With the 3rd party controller drivers installed you can move the HDD to almost any mother board without a re-install.
    Last edited by tyamada; April 15th, 2005 at 09:02 AM.