A while back, I tried to install SP2 for XP Pro and my machine went into a continuous boot loop. MS tech support couldn't resolve after numerous attempts and told me to reinstall XP, but we couldn't boot from the CD or anything. They thought I may have hardware issues. Took to a tech shop and found out my MB was fried, so I just got a replacement.

Now I installed the MB and tried to do a repair installation from my XP Pro upgrade CD (XP Home originally came with the machine). I enter the product key and it goes through the installation (I just click cancel on the "SISAGP.SYS" pop-up error and it continues) up until the "13 minutes left - registering components" step. I let this go for over an hour, and nothing happens. Can't ctrl+alt+del or anything, so I just turn it off and tried a few more times. Always gets hung up on this step.

Of course, I really want to save my data on the HD, so is there any way I can get past this step? Some notes: I don't have an internet connection. I just bought a USB HD in case I needed to wipe out the other drive. Should I try to install on this new drive? Would I have to unplug the internal HD and plug that one in? I'm really inexperienced at this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.