USB Controller test

Thread: USB Controller test

USB Controller test

Is there any way to effectively test whether a USb controller is functioning properly so I can say "It's working, but not quite right" or something like that?

Cause I got this Stinkpad (Celeron 466mhz with a presumably usb 1.1 port)that has an external burner (52x32x52x Asus usb 2.0) which burns stuff (I've tried 52x 16x 8x and the lowest 4x speeds) but always seems to have errors either during the burn or during the verification. I currently have Nero 6 installed. When I plug in either of the two USB network cards I have the lights come on for a bit sometimes but then go out before windows detects and installs the device. I've installed stuff from the external burner (which detects and installs fine, supposedly). So I ask the question has anyone had a flaky USB controller or port that sometimes works but then doesn't with other devices? Any ideas?

I supposed I should add that the laptop only has one port and the customer has a usb hub for her other devices one of which is a HP all in one, which worked fine. I have already reinstalled windows 98 and set everything up like I normally do.
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; April 13th, 2005 at 02:19 PM.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Its always the power, esp. on laptops. And Expansion cards are more of a headache on laptops, they have huge driver and compatability issues.

I've also run into issues with the contacts being dirty, or not making good contact. Try holding a little light pressure on the port after insertion to determine if the connection is the problem. I have also attempted to clean the connectors with a little contact cleaner and a felt pad.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Well here in the shop I have the burner plug right into the back without the usb hub... and the burner is self powered... so while I'm not excluding the possibility it could be a electrical problem of some sort...

either way, any USB test programs out there? I have an old MicroScope 9.01 bootable disk that tells me the USB controller is not enabled and therefore cannot test it.... but it's enabled, I checked the BIOS...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Here the logfile nero created of the burn if it helps at all:

http://neosyn.dyndns.org/log.txt

I've also tried Nero 5.5.x now and still the same thing...