Where can I find a Generic USB 2 Driver for Win 98 SE (and Sony PSP)???

Thread: Where can I find a Generic USB 2 Driver for Win 98 SE (and Sony PSP)???

Where can I find a Generic USB 2 Driver for Win 98 SE (and Sony PSP)???

Hi,

I have Windows 98 SE on my laptop with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA cardbus. Unfortunately I don't have the drivers and I don't recall the name of the card manufacturer (The card was a hand-me-down). The card has always worked when I'm attaching external devices like hard drives and dvd-rw drives because those devices come with drivers. But the hardware manager lists a problem. Under 'other devices', there's an exclamation point by "PCI Universal Serial Bus". When I've recently tried to use flash cards and the sony PSP, windows requests a driver for these unknown devices when they should just appear as removable drives. Is there a way to use a generic driver for the pcmcia card so that it will recognize removable drives? Or is there a generic driver for the Sony PSP (I've tried about a million and Windows won't recognize any....)? I really don't want to upgrade to Windows XP just for removable drive support (my computers probably too slow anyway). Any expert advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Last edited by puma1977us; April 16th, 2005 at 04:24 PM.

Any advice anybody?

There's no such thing as a generic driver for a pcmia card. You need the manufacturer's driver (or at least the chip manufacturer's driver). Look on the card for identifying information, such as an FCC ID. You can also try Everest: http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...ng=en&pageid=3 It would have a better chance of working with native drivers in W2K or XP - both of these support USB 2.0 natively.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Hey,

Thanks very much for the info and the program you referenced. Indeed the pcmcia card does have a FCC ID (that's about it except for a label saying USB 2 and a logo saying 'PC card'). But what am I supposed to do with the FCC ID? How do you figure out who manufactured it with only that info? Thanks very much for the expert advice. Let me know if you know how to proceed.

Thx

You could try looking up information on the ID here: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/