Web Site in Question

View Poll Results: When you first see a new site. What keeps you looking instead of click on.

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flash intro with skip option to plain vanilla

5 25.00%
  • To Flash or Not to flash options

2 10.00%
  • load fast, short sentences and be done.

13 65.00%
  • Any combination there of (aKA other and post)

0 0%

Thread: Web Site in Question

Question Web Site in Question

As we all browse the web a page will or will not catch our attention. For a short period, for a long period, for a return trip often or not. What I wonder is WHAT does it for you. Would a Flash intro, with skip option, to a calm but informative page work? Would a "If you like flash click here, if not click here" Site work. What works for you as a viewer and if you do web sites as a developer?
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.

I like the "Skip" option, rather than the if you like flash option.

And the site should always load fast.

short sentences, well that makes it look like there isnt any content and not worth returning.

Web users do not read data placed on a page. They always skim it. Research has shown that over and over. keywords, important stuff at the top not bottom and many people will also move on from a flash intro. I hate the enter here sites myself.

do a flash banner, its a better idea, because then if they dont like it they can scan down to the info they require
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

I'm attracted to sites/pages that contain content that I am looking for. And it should have shiny, tasteful graphics that don't take too long to load. Also,.. I am more attracted to professional style sites rather than the geocities looking sites. Zdnet.com and cnet.com are very well designed sites imo.

Also,.. things I don't like:
    - Frames
    - Borders
    - Flashing advertisements
    - Giant ugly text
    - popups
    - flash used to create the whole site. Flash should be used to add flavor and nothing more.
    - Those stupid java menus that keep disappearing/reappearing as you hover your mouse.
    Last edited by WebHead; April 13th, 2005 at 07:07 PM.
    Hello World

First page should always be fast and straight forward. Save the high bandwidth stuff for later, with a caution. Initial navigation should be fast and easy. JMHO
    Friend of Charon

Let us know more about the site SD, like what its for. Sometimes the design depends on the planned content.
    Last edited by TechZ; April 14th, 2005 at 02:20 PM.

fast, simple and elegant. I like "no frills" websites, flash is good for games, nothing more IMHO. Java applets should also be kept to a minimum (javascripts are ok)

I hate going to pages that make you load java/flash/shockwave without choosing to do so.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Pure flash sites drive me crazy

Oh and don't forget a site map!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I like the flash, but not the entire site, hate that...

any entry page I think is a waste of my mouse click... I always bookmark past them anyways. But it all depends on who the webpage is targetted for... if it's a buncha teen gamers then yeah flash is good... but if it's for a a bakery or something like that then minimal flash should be used if any... All I really care about is the information and that the information is easy to skim (as Mayet pointed out)...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

The Site as it were :)

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Let us know more about the site SD, like what its for. Sometimes the design depends on the planned content.

The basic premise stands. Game development. I've managed to jump between C++ for hardcore, to a UO shard and back again many times as well as looking at various development engines and options in between. I've run a Moo, for those that don't know its a TEXT based mMORPG for many years. I'm looking for something more.
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Basic design, easy to read, whilst being entertaining.

I was once looking at a firm for a job, I went to their site, and there was a flash intro with no skip button that went on for at least 3 minutes. I went elsewhere - I ain't that dedicated.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Multiple times the same point is made, first page of a site needs to be quick, with links to more info.

The fact is that first impressions, even if they are bogus, last a long time. Most people search for a web wite for specific reasons, being able to quickly navigate a site is perhaps more important than "wow, look at this". I have many page locations in "Favorites" that are not the first page of the site. Invariably I got there thru informative first page and easyt navigation, though the page in question may be long to load.

I don't think that most people get on the internet to show off their skills and intuitivness, even if they do possess them. If the site is a test of your internet skills and computer skills, I for one will pass it by unless I MUST use it for a good reason. The old axiom, "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" (the KISS principle) still works. In this case, Stupid is the Site Webmaster, not the user. The definition of "Simple" does keep changing tho, doesn't it?
    Friend of Charon

Like the Flash sites with intro..but it depends on the purpose of website.
    Some require intro some do not.

What really bothers me is the pages that have something continually flashing, all the while I am trying to read something... Not to single out CNN, but just as an example, I see quite a few ads along the side of their web page which set there flashing, making me slide the window over or down where I don't have to look at it while I am trying to read the news. Makes me wonder how many epileptic seizures that type ads cause.
    The flash "movies" are usually better, since they are not as repetitive but still don't like the ones that force you to watch it through to the end before you can do anything else.
    Last edited by Doctor Dan; May 11th, 2005 at 01:48 PM.