connect to printer

Thread: connect to printer

connect to printer

I am trying to connect to our HPLaserJet 1200. We have a jetdirect 175x. I have Windows XP Media Center. I can connect through my old computer and print, but this computer won't be on all the time. I need to connect via IP port. I have tried everything (or what I think is everything). I tried to install to local port (no), tried to create a new port (no), tried to remove all entries from registry (no). Argh..I am running out of ideas. I even turned off the XP firewall. Extra info: I am trying to the wireless method on my laptop.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    I am trying to connect to our HPLaserJet 1200. We have a jetdirect 175x. I have Windows XP Media Center. I can connect through my old computer and print, but this computer won't be on all the time. I need to connect via IP port. I have tried everything (or what I think is everything). I tried to install to local port (no), tried to create a new port (no), tried to remove all entries from registry (no). Argh..I am running out of ideas. I even turned off the XP firewall. Extra info: I am trying to the wireless method on my laptop.
    Does it give you an error? here is the how to from the HP site, double check that you set the port up correctly:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

no error message, just unable to print.

Update

Still unable to print, but now I get an error message that unable to connect to printer because of the VPN. I don't have a VPN. I have disabled netbios. I am running out of ideas. The maddening part is that I can ping the IP address of the printer. Argh.

Amy what happens when you try to create a new local port? This should work quite straightforwardly. Any errors at all?

I usually do this, Add printer, select Local print (remove tick from auto detect), next and then on the next screen select create local port, standard ip port and just enter the ip address. Then you need to tell it what printer, etc.

Is this how you're doing it?
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Yes, that's how I am doing it. I also downloaded HP's install network printer wizard which didn't help. The maddening part is that it sees the printer on the network and IP address.

Ok so whats in the event viewer? what exactly is happening when you try to make the new port?

On the network connection, go to properties on the TCP/IP and see what the metric value is.... if set to automatic, change to 1. I've had a situation where I couldn't see another PC because XP's routing table was insistent that the local LAN was 20 hops away!

Gotta give me more info! Neeeeeed input

Also, just remembered had a biatch of a job once where I couldn't get a printer to print.... are there any other printers setup? I had to uninstall older HP printers before installing the new one, something to do with a driver conflict. Try that....
    Last edited by corturbra; April 19th, 2005 at 10:59 AM.

Not at home right now, but as I recall, Event viewer showed squat, just unable to print. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, that did not help.
    When I try to make the port, all goes well until I try to print the test page. "unable to connect error" please check cables (all ok there) and if you are on a VPN this could cause a conflict.

Update

That's what did it corturbra, changing the metric to 1!! You are a lifesaver!!

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    That's what did it corturbra, changing the metric to 1!! You are a lifesaver!!
    You're welcome, glad I could help.

I've never had to do that before regarding the metric. You learn something new everyday.