Peer to peer home network permissions

Thread: Peer to peer home network permissions

Peer to peer home network permissions

I want to transfer some large files from my old computer to my new one and have successfully set up a peer to peer connection with a CAT 5 cable but only after manually configuring the IP address to get the network up. I used the network setup wizard and the network is called MSHome.

Old computer name EI is running XP Home SP1 and new computer name EVESHAM is running XP Pro SP2 both OEM. I have enabled the files I want as non encrypted shares. Network address 169.254.XXX.XXX same on both machinesand subnet is 255.255.0.0.

No problems with connectivity as shown by the LAN icons, Status and the fact that both green lights are on. But the machines are not talking to each other. I have forgotten all I learned in my MCP classes and have yet to do my exams and feel a right dummy over not being able to set up a simple peer to peer network but I did set up one some time ago between XP Home and ME so what is the problem now? Is it an XP Pro or SP2 issue for instance?

I have an icon on my new computer for the old one but when I click on it or try to gain access any way I get the following message

\\EI is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Comments on that message is that I tried talking to myself to get permissions from myself and as for network path it won't let me map a drive.

I am going mental over this and it's taken up so much of my time having spent 3 hrs until the early hours last night and all morning trying to get my files off the old computer. There is over 20GB of stuff I want and a bit much to use CD RWs or my half gig pen drive.

ADDED LATER: I have noticed that I appear to have three network apps on this computer because in My Network Places I have 1394 Connection One and 1394 Connection 2 as well as the actual LAN is this the problem? Having said that I can only find one LAN and one Telephone Modem port on the back but lots of Firewire ports. I am using dial up but have configured the network as non ICS as we have a possible security breach on our internet connection and the Bank have had to freeze my husband's Internet Banking
    Last edited by MorseLady; April 16th, 2005 at 06:43 AM.

sp2 enables the firewall by default. make sure it's turned off.

Additionaly, 1394 is a firewire adapted, I would safely ignore it, unless there is a bridge setup, in that case, remove the bridge.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Red face

Nothing worked and Firewalls were disabled anyway.

I can ping the new XP Pro machine from the old XP Home machine but not the other way round. Tried repair but the new machine will only accept man ually configured IP address and told me the problem may be with the network and not this machine.

Is there something about XP Pro security I should know that does not occur with XP Home? I am new to XP Pro.

Beginning to think best set up my MCP Student copy of Server 2003 eval on my spare machine and run these two as clients through my Router.

Or having regard to the hours I have wasted and rather than waste more just use my pen drive to transfer half a gig of data at a time I am so confused now and beginning to feel very stressed

Shall I leave the networking for now and continue setting up all my apps on my new machine? Or should I be reading my course material as it seems I do not know very much about networking
    Last edited by MorseLady; April 16th, 2005 at 01:47 PM.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    If you are using a cat 5 cable from one computer to the other, it must be a "crossover" cable. Regular patch cables are "straight through".
    Sergeant WOTPP

Yes it's a crossover, I have both and made sure it was the crossover I was using. Surewly if I was using the wrong cable the green lights would not have been on and both computers showing the network connected.The issue was with security and access to files not connectivity which was fine.

I gave up and put all my data on CDs, took less time than I had spent on trying to get them on the network. I have now formatted and reinstalled Windows on that computer, something I had intended to do once I got this one as it was a mess. The power supply will be replaced and I will upgrade the graphics card and possibly memory but I am in no hurry. Gone off networking and even my MCP studies after all that. We are moving house very soon and I think I am overloading my brain a bit too much

Thanks for the comments Mobile Physician and Matridom.
    Last edited by MorseLady; April 17th, 2005 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MorseLady
    I have enabled the files I want as non encrypted shares. Network address 169.254.XXX.XXX same on both machinesand subnet is 255.255.0.0.

you say its the same on both machines. They have to be different they can't share ip's. They should be numbered consequtive or obtain ip address automatically.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

No I meant the first two parts of the IP address are the same and the other two are different. It was the same on both machines when I first started setting up the networkand I had to manually reconfigure one IP address as Windows refused to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by MorseLady
    Nothing worked and Firewalls were disabled anyway.

I can ping the new XP Pro machine from the old XP Home machine but not the other way round.
    you have some type of firewall on the home machine, it can ping out, yet not be pinged.

turn off the home machine.

from the pro system, 'ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t' where xxx's are the home's IP.

boot up the home machine.

see if you get any replies during boot. If you do, you have a firewall running.

I'm still voting money on a firewall.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I already said each machine had a unique address and neither machine had a firewall of any kind I am sure of that.

The old machine is now in the cupboard and I will concentrate on this new XP Pro machine for now. Got all I need off the old one by burning the data to CDs and it is now formatted with a new copy of Windows XP Home.

I should have known better than try something like that whilst packing for our move and making all the other arrangements whilst caring for my disabled husband for whose benefit the move to a bungalow is. I will have another go when we are settled in and same goes for my MCP exams, I will do them later in the year.

Thanks again everyone and speak to you when I have moved.

Morse Lady:

One thing I failed to see in your threads or maybe overlooked - Did you enable file sharing on the sending machine??

--... ...-- de WO5J