[RESOLVED] scanning on network

Thread: [RESOLVED] scanning on network

arcade

Post scanning on network

can anyone tell me if this is possible:

pc1: parallel printer with scanner thru-port, i.e. parallel.

pc2: person wants to use scanner on pc1 from pc2 over a cat5 cable (netbeiu network).

cheers

I saw something years ago about how to share a SCSI scanner...this suggests that it might be possible still today. At $60 each it's easier to just get more scanners....

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

MacGyver

I don't believe it's possible to share a scanner. When you really think about it, it doesn't make sense because you would have to go to the scanner, place your picture/document, go back to your computer, initiate the scan, retreive your document. If you need a shared scanner, hook it up to a dedicated workstation for that purpose.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

I have never seen anything that will let you share a cheap scanner over a network. Expensive (10k-20K) dollar network copiers will do it well, but is coded into the drivers that you use.

Axis makes document server. It requires a SCSI based scanner. Kinda pricy I think.

www.axis.com/products/axis_7000/index.htm

For a network enviroment, that has only one or two admins, this would be a jewel. Think about how much added time and resources it would take to support 20 $60 scanners. Of course my users are not of the computer literate part.

Grider

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited March 07, 2001).]

mikevm

Lightbulb

HP has a network version of its multi-function G95 product, but beware the w2k drivers are terrible, and functionality is somewhat limited if you want to get into more advanced phonebook sharing (for faxing)