removing logon

Thread: removing logon

removing logon

I bought a lap top at a yard sale this weekend but it had a network logon for a company with password and username, is their a way to remove that logon are do I ofto reinstall windows it's win xp pro. please help i dont want to reinstall windows xp

Get ride of old user account,make new user account. go to control panel click on user accounts go from there. hope this helps????????

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A.
    Get ride of old user account,make new user account. go to control panel click on user accounts go from there. hope this helps????????
    the problem is that it's part of a domain and it's not that easy.

rudeboy, when you logon, do you have the option to logon to domain and local, or just domain?

Cause if you have just the domain option, your looking at reinstalling. if you have the local option, log in as the admin there and you should be able to dis-associate the domain from the laptop.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    the problem is that it's part of a domain and it's not that easy.

rudeboy, when you logon, do you have the option to logon to domain and local, or just domain?

Cause if you have just the domain option, your looking at reinstalling. if you have the local option, log in as the admin there and you should be able to dis-associate the domain from the laptop.
    Correct me if I am wrong Mat, but even though he would be logging onto the local machine, wouldn't he need a domain admins account info to change it to from a domain to a workgroup? i.e. "Please insert a username and password from an account that has permission to remove this computer from the domain".. .

IMO Best bet would be to do a clean install. No telling what other strange/ foreign programs may be in there - viruses,etc.
    Last edited by Poseidon; April 18th, 2005 at 04:50 PM.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Correct me if I am wrong Mat, but even though he would be logging onto the local machine, wouldn't he need a domain admins account info to change it to from a domain to a workgroup? i.e. "Please insert a username and password from an account that has permission to remove this computer from the domain".. .

IMO Best bet would be to do a clean install. No telling what other strange/ foreign programs may be in there - viruses,etc.
    I'm not 100% sure on that, i know you can bypass the network logon with a local logon, wether it can remove the domain or not is up to debate, i'll have to give it a try when i get a chance to know for sure. I thought that if he had the option it would be worth a try. I know personaly, i would be reformating cause i don't know what weird permissions are setup on the computer.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

safemode??? and re-do the network setup there..

my 2 cents, I dont think ive ever seen a domain only install, you may have to hit ctrl-alt-del 2 or 3 times to get the options drop down to get at the local machine, but it's always been there in my experience. then try the administrator with no PW as many corp tech seem to forget to put one on there.If that doesnt work theres a handy tool for changing the admin PW here http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Once you have the local admin PW you can disjoin rom the domain and away you go........ G
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."