problems with my nvidia graphics driver

Thread: problems with my nvidia graphics driver

problems with my nvidia graphics driver

ok, it al started when i reformatted my computer....i inserted the windows xp cd-rom and reinstalled my operating system to just make my computer faster and clean it up and all that stuff...after i did that, everything worked fine except my screen constantly would have lines in either direction or lines and dots constantly appearing and disappearing and/or my computer would shutdown and restart...its been about 3 months or so and the problem is still around, and i think getting worse, because it was able to be dealt with for a while but now my computer is sort of "flipping out" again...i tried updating my driver from the nvidia homepage like 4 times, and nothing works, ive read plenty of different "solutions" on google search and some forums and thats what has brought me here. I read a post/thread from 7/04 which said stated some problems with playing games...well, my problem isnt with games, because i dont play computer games...i just wanna be able to have a WORKING COMPUTER!!!... i will post my comp. info to let you guys know whats the deal with my computer...

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003, 2004 Lavalys, Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v1.51.195
    Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer FIERRO-BSBNWVJQ
    Generator Fierro
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2005-04-18
    Time 10:55

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name FIERRO-BSBNWVJQ
    User Name Fierro

Motherboard:
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1245 MHz
    Motherboard Name ECS K7S5A (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio)
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 735
    System Memory 256 MB
    BIOS Type AMI (10/29/02)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
    IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 (74 GB, IDE)
    Disk Drive HP photosmart 7600 USB Device
    Optical Drive CyberDrv CW078D CD-R/RW (40x/16x/48x CD-RW)
    Optical Drive JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166S (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 76308 MB (50295 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

Network:
    Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.0.2)
    Modem Intel(R) 537 Modem

Peripherals:
    USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
    USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
    USB Device Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
    USB Device photosmart 7600 series (DOT4USB)
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Device USB Printing Support

if you guys need more info i can copy it from my everest summary, so just tell me what you need and PLEASE HELP ME!!!

the only thing i havent tried which im kinda nervous to do [dont ask me why] is UNINSTALLING my nvidia driver THEN RE-installing the newer one(s)... should i do this?

ok...now i actually have uninstalled my nvidia driver and then i reinstalled the newest one from the nvidia homepage...i downloaded 71.89 and installed it. still i have problems with my computer...i cant take a screen shot of the comp. so i cant really show you the problem...so sorry if im not explaining my sitaution really well...

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!

Try installing the AGP chipset driver: http://www.sis.com/download/download...Image7911.y=17
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Have you......

Tried a different video card and see if you still have the problem (just trying to see if it is the card or the agp/pci slot that might be bad)??? Have you tried pulling the card out and re-seating it??? I have seen what you are talking about in the past and it usually was the video card was either hosed, or just loose. Let me know.....

AH
    Another Fun Game of Marco Polo in the Shallow End of the Gene Pool......

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1245 MHz
    Is your CPU overclocked? 1245Mhz is kind of a strange speed.

12x100=1200Mhz
    or
    9x133=1197Mhz

Neither is close to 1245Mhz. If you overclocked on that motherboard the AGP speed is out of spec. That could be why your video is malfunctioning.
    Last edited by Vip2; April 21st, 2005 at 11:40 AM.

so how do i fix that? (the overclocking)

Unhappy

im on my sister's computer right now, which is why i can actually see what im typing, because now EVEN in SAFE MODE my computer is terrible... i started my computer up about 10 minutes ago (in safe mode) and it was fine for about 3 minutes (just about enough time for me to reply "how do i fix that?")...this is really terrible, and i hope i dont have to buy a new card, i dont understand how this happened...if i were to try to re-insert the card...someone would have to describe to me how to do that, because im not too smart when it comes to this kinda stuff, as you can tell...

hey guys, i might have to update my MONITOR DRIVERS, seeing as how updating and all this stuff i do with my GRAPHICS DRIVERS dont work...how do i find out what monitor driver updates i need?

Ok, try this:

Turn on the PC and press "delete" that should get you into the BIOS setup.
    Go to the "CPU and PnP Setup" menu.
    Go to the "CPU/DRAM Frequency" option jot down what it is currently set to.
    Press Page Up/Down, set the CPU Frequency to 133Mhz or 100Mhz.

My guess would be that it should be set to 133Mhz, but I am not sure what processor you really have.

What kind of monitor do you have?

Most of the time monitor drivers only specify what refresh rates the monitor supports. So, as long as your Graphic Card is outputting a low refresh rate (60Hz is default) the driver should not matter. Also, you mentioned that it did not work in Safe Mode. If that is the case then it is definitely not the Monitor Driver.
    Last edited by Vip2; April 21st, 2005 at 11:45 AM.

ok guys, looks like i got myself into a bigger mess now...none of the things you guys said were working so i decided to do something different... i figured id use the "REPAIR" option that is on ANY windows XP installation disk...i wanted to do this and not lose any of the files saved on my comp. (music, my dad's photos, etc.)... so i do the whole process and what not, and a message comes up that i need to restart my computer...so, i restart and it starts up in safe mode and another message says "windows xp cannot run in safe mode. setup will now restart"...and it restarts my computer again...so i say to myself "ok, ill just press F8 and make my computer restart normally..."...WELL, was i wrong or what? NOW MY DAMN COMPUTER IS STUCK IN SAFEMODE AND I CANT DO ANYTHING NOW!!!!!" can someone please help me here! im in terrible shape...and without my computer im bored as hell, and i have no way of doing school work and other things of the sort... PLEASE HELP ME!!!