Spilled Soda

Thread: Spilled Soda

Spilled Soda

Ok friend of mine decided to go and spill soda all over her laptop and now I am trying to fix it all up and as I have never done so wondering if could get advice. We went and got the disolving solvent junk from Radio Shack but I am wondering where I spray it what are the steps coming up to the actual spraying. From what I can tell I can not get the keyboard off all in one chunk, it is a Toshiba Satellite 1200, and I am wondering what type of damage the solvent itself can do. Any suggestions be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    michael

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    The keyboard is definitely removeable, and I would reccommend doing so before you attempt to spray anything onto it, as it sits directly over the motherboard.

Personally, I would remove the keyboard, and clean individual locations inside of the keyboard assembly rather than just spraying the whole keyboard. I don't remember on that particular model exactly how the keyboard comes out, but if you cannot figure it out on your own, I would reccomend taking it to a qualified technician, to avoid further damage.

Do a test spray somewhere on the bottom of the notebook first. Some solvents can melt the plastic casing. If you do it on the bottom and it starts to wreck the case, at least it is in a place that won't be noticable.

I would be suprised if the keyboard worked properly even if you do manage to clean it off. Usually it is necessary to replace the keyboard after spillage.

How much of a spill are you talking about, having worked for a company contracted by Assurant Safeware (laptop insurance group) I can tell you that soda is corosive. It tends to eat the traces off of the various system boards. For soda the only solvent you need is distilled water though. Disassemble the laptop completely, and soak the plastics in water and use a tooth brush to clean it up. Any electical part that came in contact with the soda is most likely going to need to be replaced as the soda will seep under the various IC's on the board and it is conductive.

~Chris

Sounds like "The Pepsi Syndrome". If anybody remembers the old Saturday Night Live episode with Dan Aykdroyd (spelling?) where somebody spilled a cola on one of the console's keyboards. "Will 7-Up cause the same problem? No, it's the Uncola".

Anyway, I would try tilting the keyboard at an angle on its side and use Isopropyl Alcohol to soak that baby down with. Let it run off until it is clear and clean. Operate the keys as you are soaking it down.

I would personally try to stay away from any "solvent" purchased at Radio Shack as they would probably leave some kind of film behind and may cause other damage as noted above.

Also as stated above, sodas are highly corrosive and if you don't get to it quick, you will likely lose operation of several components...on the keyboard and on items underneath.