Hi.

I am new to the Linux operating system, but from what I have heard from, what I would consider people more knowledgeble than me, I understand that SUSE Linux is a good choise for beginners. I have tried Red Hat Linux, but I could not get my sound working. Anyway, on with the problem...

I am trying to do an installation of SUSE 9.2. I have downloaded the required files and made them available through the network(as instructed ). I have a Dimension 2400 with Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. Everything is running correctly, including the pre-setup display that loads when you insert the boot CD. The problem starts when YAST2 starts.

There are only 3 visible colors. Black, blue and gray. The whole help part of the screen(left) is completely black. I have to "select" the text in order to see it. The inactive fields(borders, etc.) are gray. The text of the buttons is BolD black and there is a little shadow that makes it look even thicker.

I have read at a cople other forums about this problem before posting here, but none of them seem to have a good sollution.

I tried starting in Safe Mode, didn't work. Diabled AIPS(Or whatever that was...sorry for my ignorance) didn't work aswell.

I can go in "Text Mode" and install it, but after the installation the only resolution that is supported is 640x480.

A couple of days earlier I booted the Live-9.2 CD. Graphics were fine, except thay they too run only in 640x480 resolution. I tried to change them, but it required a restart. I didn't try to reboot, because I'm pretty sure the Live CD writes everything in RAM, so after a restart....Yeah !

Every idea is appreciated, but please write in detail since, as I said, I'm not very good with Linux.

Thanks.

P.S.: My plans are to have a Dual Boot machine. I will use SUSE for web development. Just for testing, it woun't be a server. If anyone think other kind of Linux would be better for this, please post.