Problems with Chaintech 5AGM2

Thread: Problems with Chaintech 5AGM2

Unhappy Problems with Chaintech 5AGM2

I have problems with a chaintech motherboard 5AGM2 AMD K6 2 /500 /256 RAM and a 8.4 GB HD ATI RAGE pro 32MB video card, sound blaster pci sound card for many year I was running windows 98 se without problems.
    as now was a second computer in the installed an upgrade version of windows ME, everything seemed fine, but trouble started when I installed the ATI Rage pro drivers, I visited ATI's website and found out that they was problems with the VIA chipset MVP3 which my board has. the advised that I need a special driver. I went to the Via website and could find any about a problem with ATI RAGE.
    As this computer isn't connected to the internet I can't download the driver on to but I can't download on the main computer and burn the driver to disc.

Sometime I can get the driver installed with problems but it crashes most of the time. (I have tried download the drivers for the chipset but that didn't do no good).
    I even tried reloading windows again but it get to check for plug and play devices and has problems after reboot it seems to finish alright but come up with 16 colours,
    Even tried windows 2000 on there which it has been with no problems it crash as well, even tried known good hard drive and it seems to be ok for a while then crashes but after it crashes I can't get 16bit colour only 16 colours.
    I have no other video card that I can try.
    Has anyone good any ideas, if it is chipset and video card problem where do I get the driver or patch ( have lost the CD that came with the MB)

AGP Drivers
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/w82560en.exe for windows 98,98se
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/w2k-j5-30-1-b02.exe for windows 2000

In the system BIOS there's an item to switch between L2 write through or write back mode. Write back is supposed to be faster, but I couldn't measure hardly a difference. There was one difference: All games based on DirectX showed quite a corrupted picture. I could get rid of this by switching back to write through mode, which also has the benefit that the cacheable area covers 128 MB instead of only 64 MB with write back mode. -courtesy tom's hardware
    motherboard drivers
    http://members.driverguide.com/ums/i...4374974v267747

username "driver" ; password "all"

Check review at http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=242

Check that your video and sound arent sharing and conflicting irq resources.

Did your board have onboard sound and what other pci cards do you have installed. Is the AGP aperature opened up enough in the bios?

Oh yeah and I am presuming you updated your direct X? If not do so
    Last edited by Mayet; April 24th, 2005 at 05:14 PM.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

I do know there was a problem with some Creative and Via stuff around the time that this board would have been in production. Generally, installing the VIA 4in1 drivers before any other drivers helps prevent issues such as this, as for downloading these, the VIa 4in1 drivers for this motherboard just fit on a floppy disk. Hope this helps.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

There is no conflict between the video and sound card. I sometimes get in but win98se crashes, if it locks up too much I can't in only get into the safe Mode
    win98se is must better on this computer. time up then Winme, I have update DirectX, video card drivers, there is only one PCI sound blaster 16 bit sound card and I have th driver for to, I have the latest Via chipset drivers,.
    There is something strange when I run Winme I get a lot of blue screen of death the errors are different everytime. In win98se it just freezes and I get can't get out.
    I have check the BIOS and there is no L2 this bios was made before 1998 there is something in the BIOS Read Around Write and Video Bios Cacheable and System Bios Cacheable.
    it is strange it seems to all work ok a year ago, but now it just freeze when I can get in or only boot half way in and locks up
    or I can't get into windows at all

There is no on board sound, The 5AGM2 was a dual power supply supporting both AT /ATX power supplies. At present it is switched to ATX , it has a PS-2 mouse connector but the keyboard is a 5pin din plug.

BSODs are usually connected with bad memory - check it... bad videomemory can cause crashes as well...

I found out after must boot up that the CMOS battery was failing and the Cmos settings were resetting to default and some setting had to be changed for the system to boot right it the first place. I changed the battery are everything seems to be ok again.