Deleted sb live driver and deleted multimedia audio controller

Thread: Deleted sb live driver and deleted multimedia audio controller

Deleted sb live driver and deleted multimedia audio controller

When I bought this used computer I was told I had a Sound Blaster Live!
    Mp3 sound card. However, I have since deleted the sb live sound driver
    by accident. The multimedia audio controller is not listed in device manager
    either. I have a P4VXMS main board or mother board that was also installed
    by the person who I bought the computer off of. The OS is windows XP
    home edition. It is Pentium 4, 1.6GHz, 40GB Maxtor Drive to give some of
    the specifications. There is a VIA-3058 AC97 Audio that is auto enabled.
    Is this the onboard audio chip that needs to be disabled since I use to have
    a SB Live Mp3 sound card that was added on.
    What do I do to get my SB Live sound card working so I can have sound
    through my headphones again?

Thanks

DDobrydnio

Driver here: http://us.creative.com/support/downl...ame=Windows+XP Check add/remove programs and uninstall any existing Creative/Sound Blaster drivers/software before installing. You also need to disable the AC97 audio in bios first.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thank you for the advice about the Creative Sound Blaster Live driver. I went to the
    web site and downloaded it. Unfortunately, my XP Home edition on my computer told
    me I did not have Sound Blaster hardware on my computer or something to that effect. I was wondering if you might have any other advice, Hudsonsmith?
    Thanks once, again. DDobrydnio

It is likely that it is an OEM version of the card. Do you know if it came installed when the computer was sold? If so, what is the make/model of the computer? You may be able to get an appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Also, take a look at the card for a code in the form SB####.

Be forewarned - Creative's driver support is the pits, particularly for OEM products.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I appreciate the additional information. Due to my inexperience with opening up the
    computer and taking a look, I am afraid to do just that. Might it be a safe alternative to take it to a certified technician and have them put in some sort of other sound
    card and start from scratch? Is there an economical sound card out there that you
    might recommend?

Thanks,

DDobrydnio

You've got another sound card - you said there was VIA-3058 AC97 on board. Just disable the Soundblaster in device manager and enable the AC97 in bios

When I enabled the VIA AC97 the windows media player and cd player would play.
    However, my Radio Shack headphones when plugged into the various "plug holes?"
    wouldn't detect any sound. You were right about the VIA AC97 being enabled and
    having the necessary drivers. Thank you.