System Set Up Help Required

Thread: System Set Up Help Required

System Set Up Help Required

Hello.

Please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong part of the forum, but I couldn't really find a suitable place to post this. Here's the basics of my problem:

My old system broke down for some reason, it was a 1.3 Tualatin Celeron, 384mb Sdramm and I couldn't locate the fault. I felt it was the CPU and made the decision to buy some new hardware.

Since I couldn't get online, I had to do it sort of 'blind' without any prior research and I phoned a shop here to see if they had any bundles on special offer. They did, so I now have a P4 3GHZ cpu, hyperthreading and stuff, an Asus P5P800S motherboard and 512mb PC3200 Ram. I got the stuff home and assembled it and obviously it's working, but........

It doesn't really feel any faster, or responsive than my previous Tualatin system, so I'm wondering if I've got it set up correctly. Something just doesn't feel 'right' about it.

Does anyone here know if there are any set up guides online for this kind of system which I could refer to?

Of course, I'd appreciate any help that anyone here would be willing to offer me, in which case, I would post further relevant details about my system if I knew what information to supply.

TIA.

Michael.

First, what operating system are you running?

Second, how did you install it? Did you simply move the old hard drive to the new system and fire it up or did you reinstall the OS from scratch?

Let's start here and see where we go ...

Hello, thanks for replying.

It was a clean install on the formatted C partition of my hard drive of XP Pro and SP2. I've since added all the recommended MS updates, latest chipset drivers, hardware drivers and so on.

Michael.

Try something CPU intensive...

Aside from a much faster boot; I did not notice too much difference for day to day stuff going from a 1.4 Ghz Athlon to a 2.8 Ghz A64 chip, until I started working with music files (converting files from shorten to mp3 to add to itunes) Wow, then I noticed the difference. I expect you'll see the same thing.

Good luck

yeah, the "run of the mill" working with windows stuff I don't see much difference in between our base system and our power system... it's the graphics intensive, heavy calculations or video editing where I see a big difference in the larger processors... Doom3 is always a good test of a computers abilities
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.