What would cause, potentially mind you, for a system to have a problem with both cd-rom and dvd-rom unable to load the drivers? Would it be realistic that both drives would go bad at the exact same time?

I’ve uninstalled the devices and tried to reinstall them. All I ever get is ….”windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. Code 39” I’ve located the driver for the device off Dell and loaded to the machine…but it still won’t find the driver, and even when I manually search for it…it won’t list the driver.

I just find it odd that both blew up at the same exact time. One is a NEC-CD-RW NR-9100A, and the other is a GCR-8481B. I cannot use the driver resource disk or utility disks obviously because the both cd rom and dvd rom drives won’t work…*smile*.

Let me revise that….the driver for the NR-9100A firmware is a flash utility. Which won’t run because it says that the target NEC NR-9100A is not found correctly. Basically, the utility won’t run because it can’t find the hardware…..the hardware won’t run because it can’t find the driver…

Any thoughts?