Antivirus solution for Clients

Thread: Antivirus solution for Clients

Question Antivirus solution for Clients

I relaize this is an old and ongoing topic of discussion, but it's been a while since I have seen any posts reguarding the issuse.

I am looking for both anti-virus, and anti-spyware solutions that I can preinstall on my clients PCs

Here are the Prerequsits for the software.

ANTIVIRUS

1. Cannot be a resource hog. No more than 1 running process while the system is idle.
    2. No more than 2 Services at startup
    3. Must have auto update cababilities.
    4. Good track record for detection.
    5. No annoying popups telling the status of the software.

ANTISPYWARE

1. Blocking of all know sites that install via activex controls.
    2. Deletion of File and or registry entries, upon detection.
    3. Automatic update of the software.

I am already aware the above requirements eliminate

Norton Antivirus (Home or Corperate)
    Mcafee (Home)
    Trend Internet Security.

I have been using the following with alot of luck, but it lacks the auto update features that I want.

Antivir (http://www.free-av.com)
    Spybot S & D
    Ad Aware
    Spyware Blaster

I was a big Mcafee fan until 2003 until Mcafee Started adding many useless services like Norton Has. I am a purist when it comes to computers, and don't believe that it takes 4+ running processes to protect your pc from Viruses and spyware.

I have tried Mcafee VSOP which seems to work well, but it's still a resource hog.

Any Suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

F-Prot

Have you checked out F-Prot? I don't know if it has as few service as you're looking for, but it's the fewest that I've ever seen. It's got Pro's and Con's to it's security but it's easy to schedule daily updates and daily scans and it's pretty free of extra bloat.

Check out www.nod32.com for an antivirus, and if you are running xp try the microsoft antispyware ap
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

After reading the last post I reread your message.

Spysweeper continually seems to rank very high right now for antispyware. I've been impressed by it.

Also, TDS-3 Anti-Trojan Suite may bear some checking out. Registered Versions Autoupdate.

Are you talking free or something they have to pay for?

TO meet your requirements, I would go with AVG 7.0 for the anti virus, and for the spyware I would use the MS Anti Spyware beta version. This will not use near the resources like most other programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    TO meet your requirements, I would go with AVG 7.0 for the anti virus, and for the spyware I would use the MS Anti Spyware beta version. This will not use near the resources like most other programs.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    This is what I use on all my new machine + FireFox and spybot immunize
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I would take a look at Kaspersky for AV. It is da **** so far. Auto-updates several times a day. My computer runs faster with it than with AVG. Has gotten a look of good reviews from what I have seen. It picked up alot of things that AVG and Norton didn't pick up on my computer.

http://www.kaspersky.com/
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Apples to apples... each engine detects different things some of which are probably false positives. I've tried kaspersky, I like it. Nothing wrong with it. I just don't see a reason to switch to it. If I see it on a customers system it's one of the ones I leave on. Unlike F-Prot... man I've had lotsa problems with that... all the customers I have that insist on using it usually end up with bluescreens caused by it. Either way AVG or kaspersky is fine but I'll stick with my AVG for now.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    Check out www.nod32.com for an antivirus, and if you are running xp try the microsoft antispyware ap
    Ditto, and with Adaware as well. Cant fault NOD32, but make sure its set to scan deep, with all options switched on. Its amazing what it trawls out.
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine