display adapter problem

Thread: display adapter problem

Exclamation display adapter problem

I have an exclamation mark on my video controller/display adapter when I go into the device manager. When I click on it, it says the device is not configured properly. I tried to reinstall the driver but the system says it needs a cd (setup). I don't have this cd, my computer came as it is without any backup software. I have tried to find the driver on the internet without success. I am running windows 2000. The program was searching for VIA/S36 KM400. I don't know if this is the name of the adapter or the driver. I am not very computer literate when it comes to the devices and fixes on a computer so if you need more info please be specific and maybe tell me how to locate what you need. I don't know how to get the bios info for example(tried that all ready). Thank you. My display is messed up bad and it is driving me crazy please help.

The VIA/S36 KM400 is the model of display adapter, got to www.viaarena.com then choose Downloads, then drivers and follow the drill-down for your os and chipset. Download the driver, run it and reboot and all should be well.......G
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Exclamation thank you

Thank you very much, that helped a little, but my display still looks bad.
    I have dots all over the place and incomplete pics. The exclamation point moved. After I downloaded the driver and installed it, the icon moved to the VIA CPU to AGP Controller. The description read "This device cannot start (code 10)". I don't know if I did something wrong or if I just didn't see this before. I would appreciate your help again. The description of the device said that no drivers are installed or required to be installed for this device. What does that mean? How would I fix this problem? Thank you for any help.
    Jasiter1

Go back to viaarena and download and install the latest hyperion 4 in 1 driver, under chipset and platform drivers..... Let me know how you make out...... G
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Exclamation ok

I did what you recommended but nothing has changed. Appreciate the help.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Jasiter1

Quote Originally Posted by jasiter1
    I did what you recommended but nothing has changed. Appreciate the help.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Jasiter1
    Make sure Windows is up-to-date
    Make sure you have the latest DirectX (DirectX9c)
    Reinstall the video drivers.

Everything must be done in the correct order. Motherboard chipset drivers are first, then Windows/DirectX, then video drivers.
    I've had plenty of computers where I had everything I needed but couldn't get them to work. I had to reinstall the same drivers, and do it last.
    Also, some monitors require a driver and won't work 100% with the generic driver. You might need to track down drivers for your monitor by model#.