Slow login : XP to Win2k domain

Thread: Slow login : XP to Win2k domain

Slow login : XP to Win2k domain

We have a strange problem on our network, where all WinXP PCs generally take 4-5 mins to login (whilst the same user account would log in in 1 minute on Win2K).

Having done lots of searching and research, it seems as though DNS tends to be a big problem with slow logins but ours appears to be set up correctly.

I had a look at the userenv log, and there are a few things that stand out...

Code:
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 ProcessGPOs:
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 ProcessGPOs: Starting user Group Policy (Background) processing...
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 EnterCriticalPolicySectionEx: Entering with timeout 600000 and flags 0x0
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 EnterCriticalPolicySectionEx: User critical section has been claimed.  Handle = 0x79c
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 EnterCriticalPolicySectionEx: Leaving successfully.
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 ProcessGPOs:  Machine role is 2.
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 PingComputer: Adapter speed 100000000 bps
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 PingComputer:  First time:  1
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:48:00:584 PingComputer:  Fast link.  Exiting.
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:50:00:377 ProcessGPOs:  User name is:  (edited this out)
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:50:00:393 ProcessGPOs: Domain controller is:  (edited this out)
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:50:00:393 ReadGPExtensions: Rsop entry point not found for gptext.dll.
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:50:00:393 ReadGPExtensions: Rsop entry point not found for dskquota.dll.
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:50:00:393 ReadGPExtensions: Rsop entry point not found for gptext.dll.
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:50:00:393 ReadGPExtensions: Rsop entry point not found for iedkcs32.dll.
    USERENV(2b8.414) 13:50:00:393 ReadGPExtensions: Rsop entry point not found for scecli.dll.
    most obvious there is the exact 2 minute gap (120 second timeout?). not sure what would trigger that. no idea what the Rsop error is to do with either.

the other error of note is:

Code:
    USERENV(1ec.558) 13:50:03:190 ImpersonateUser: Failed to impersonate user with 5.
    USERENV(1ec.558) 13:50:03:190 GetUserNameAndDomain Failed to impersonate user
    anyone familiar with these problems, or have any suggestions? I am able to provide more info if necessary!

thanks.

Hey there, do the XP machines have service pack 2 on? My guess is yes...

Something to try that does not always work, right click on C: drive in Windows Explorer, Properties and take off the indexing. Reboot the PC, login and put it back on. It's worked on 3 machines out of 40 that have this problem since the installation of service pack 2.

Microsoft's wonderful words of wisdom for a charged support call? Format the drive and install XP, then service pack 2, then all the applications etc. Yeah I'll do that on 40 machines... NOT. To prove it I have removed SP2 on 2 machines and they are back to less than a minute login.
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Yes, they do have SP2 but the problem existed before we applied it too unfortunately. I am sure its something to do with our network configuration somewhere that disagrees with XP (be it DNS, GPO or something else), but I am clueless as to what it might be.

Thanks though!

If you haven't already, set the XP boxes to a static DNS and gateway pointing to the IP of the Server (or whichever server is running DNS server if more than one).

For example, if the IP of the server is 10.0.1.1, set a static IP on an XP box of 10.0.1.50, Gateway of 10.0.1.1 and DNS to 10.0.1.1.

That worked for me in a similar situation.

I don't have time to look any further at the moment but off the top of my head RSOP is Resultant Set Of Policies.

Maybe you have conflicting GPO's somewhere?

emr

mtkinf - yes, we've already got that set as you suggested. thanks for the suggestion.

emr - certainly possible. what could cause a conflict? My limited understanding was that GPO's were processed in 'order' so one would take precedent over another. How would such a conflict arise?

Quote Originally Posted by Easton College
    mtkinf - yes, we've already got that set as you suggested. thanks for the suggestion.

emr - certainly possible. what could cause a conflict? My limited understanding was that GPO's were processed in 'order' so one would take precedent over another. How would such a conflict arise?
    Try the Group Policy Management Console from MS. You can run queries on what policies are being applied and where, etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...c/default.mspx

This will only run on W2k3 Server boxes though and I'm not sure you mentioned what your domain controllers were running?

emr

They're running W2K. We do have a W2K3 server but its not a domain controller. I'll download it anyway and see if I can make use of it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Easton College; May 6th, 2005 at 09:28 AM.

Someone on another site has suggested that the problem may be that the problem may be because the internal domain is set to 'easton-college.ac.uk' rather than 'easton-college.local'. But they haven't answered any of my follow up questions. Anyone have any comments on this? Can this cause issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Easton College
    Someone on another site has suggested that the problem may be that the problem may be because the internal domain is set to 'easton-college.ac.uk' rather than 'easton-college.local'. But they haven't answered any of my follow up questions. Anyone have any comments on this? Can this cause issues?
    I think he's right .. I think naming it like that means that all your initial requests have to go out of your domain to get resolved ..

There's a 'very full' explanation of that idea here

thanks, i'll give that a look.

Question Update

Hi

I was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this. We are seeing similar issues on our network (2k3 Servers with XP Pro SP2 Workstations). I have checked all the recommended solutions (DNS, permissions on SYSVOL, GPO's) and can still not isolate the cause of this problem.

Cheers

Rob

I don't think you're going to find a definitive solution, because there are a lot of things that can cause logon issues. I guess you've been through all the Event ID 1054 stuff on TechNet, UserNV log files, etc? One simple thing to try is MS' User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. Its easy to deploy, and it can often improve logon times because it helps insure that users get logged off correctly, so everything has unloaded as it should.

One of the big problems I've seen causing slow logons is synchronization issues. Quick example: I have a small financial services client whose data processing company had them install a bit of software that never worked correctly, and was later discarded. Unfortunately, the data center didn't tell them to remove it. At logon, every workstation was trying to connect to and sync up with non-functional software. It also broke WSUS, so that the computers were trying to sync with a non-working WSUS server.

After I killed the old data center software and re-installed WSUS, life was much better. Another issue that can sometimes cause this behavior is a corrupted user profile; but if it affects most of the network, I'd look at possible synchronization issues. If you're dealing with a big network, I think CeeBee or BobIROC might be of more help.