DVD burner plays audio cd but no dvd audio

Thread: DVD burner plays audio cd but no dvd audio

DVD burner plays audio cd but no dvd audio

My dvd burner will play audio from music cd's and will play video dvd's but will not play the audio from the dvd. any suggestions

chuckr

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by "will not play audio from dvd". What kind of dvd? or maybe it is a SACD???
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

more details

The DVD burner that I have in my desktop computer will play the video portion of a regular dvd movie that you can purchase at any store but there is no audio playback with it. Yet when I put any commericially available music cd in the dvd drive it plays back the audio no problem. I have both the windows MP9 series and the realone player for media players. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chuckr

That points to the software used to play DVD's, so your unit is fine... check that the volume control in the player software isn't set very low or on mute. Also try playing a wav file from your PC and confirm that the soundcard is working properly.

.wav files play

.wav files play so the sound card is OK, volume control on software is not low and the mute button is not engaged either. I've removed the hardware and then reconnected it back but still no sound from a dvd. could i possibly be missing some drivers?

chuckr

What software do you use for playing DVD's? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?

unistall reinstall

yes, i have unistalled and reinstalled real one player.

You need a "real" dvd player app, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD... most likely Real Player is unable to decode multi-channel sound. Drive or computer manufacturers bundle a software DVD player in most cases.

Thanks, I downloaded the trial version of windvd and it loaded some dvd audio drivers, now windvd, realplayer and ms media player all have sound along with the dvd. thanks again

chuckr

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    You need a "real" dvd player app, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD... most likely Real Player is unable to decode multi-channel sound. Drive or computer manufacturers bundle a software DVD player in most cases.
    Tell him some 'lies' then & sell some DVD decoder s/w for someone, why don't you ?

Real player just works like any other player & uses s/w or hardware 'codecs' to interprate the data stream from any source & then play it back, so nope you don't need any of that stuff Ceebee says at all, what you wanted was a codec capable of playing back the audio stream on the dvd which is most likely AC3 ACM, which isn't native to any windows version (except media edition) & such things can be found for FREE (which is the prefer'ed method of obtaining things around here !) by grabbing yourself a nice & comprehensive set of Codecs (btw both products mentioned will add an appropriate codec, I'm just 'pissed' you seem to be being advised you must buy this ) from a place like this - Klite Codec mirror (you can get these lots of places, but this link requires no stupid signups or subscriptions unlike some !)

and again why use a crappy app like real player when a good program exists and has been paid for (bundled license)??? free is good, but free *and* good is better

and again why use a crappy app like real player when a good program exists and has been paid for (bundled license)??? free is good, but free *and* good is better
    Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Real player at all

I think I was just trying gently to say (though I'm still learning that technique ! so bear with me ), that your original diagnosis of why it wouldn't play the sound portion was wrong .. you need a codec to decode the video portion, which most people do appreciate, & then a further one to decode the sound portion .. but you don't need to be paying for either of those as you can just get these free.

& who says he paid for any software for his dvd ? OEM drive purchases come without player software ( & I can think of several 'big name' companies who ship units with dvd's in them & then no bundled s/w !! - tightwads ! ) & then you add the klite pack to your install & voila, WMP is then a fully fledged DVD player (& it {the KLite Mega pack} also adds an alternative to real player, 'real alternative' which isn't like its 'parent' Real Obnoxious !!! ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I think I was just trying gently to say [...] that your original diagnosis of why it wouldn't play the sound portion was wrong ..
    Was it?
    most likely Real Player is unable to decode multi-channel sound
    Yes, with MPEG2 and AC3 decoders you can view the movie, but is this everything? What about subtitles, soundtrack selection, special features? Are these to be left aside just to use a freeware codec? A $20 standalone player that can be bought new on sale is far better as far as I am concerned.

Was it?

Yes.
    .. glad you agree ! .. No software players can work without the right codecs there - real player (as obnoxious as it is) can with the right codecs available to it, play a DVD 'properly', just like WMP can etc ..

As an FYI if you wade your way through all the KLite Codec's pack contents, you'll find there's various stuff to deal with any feature you can find on a DVD such as subtitles, language selection etc (you may need the 'mega pack' to get all this 'extra' kind of stuff ).

btw a $20 player wouldn't be my recommend, I'd get carried away & spend double to find a player that can play AVIs .. most useful if you are re-encoding to DVD .. magically this can transform the apparent capacity of a DVD5 disk (4.7 gb or 4.3 gb depending how you look at it ) from 1 film to maybe 6 or 7 films, & with dual layer etc now available for many with an appropriate burner in their pc, lots more

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    btw a $20 player wouldn't be my recommend, I'd get carried away & spend double to find a player that can play AVIs .. most useful if you are re-encoding to DVD .. magically this can transform the apparent capacity of a DVD5 disk (4.7 gb or 4.3 gb depending how you look at it )
    Again, why bother? DVD recordable media is dirt cheap, not worth the effort of re-encoding and losing quality for $0.25 or less. And btw, the $20 player that I have (no-name) is a region-free PAL/NTSC unit and the quality isn't significantly worse from amother SONY that I have...