USB 2.0 Cardbus probs: DVD writer freezes

Thread: USB 2.0 Cardbus probs: DVD writer freezes

USB 2.0 Cardbus probs: DVD writer freezes

I am trying to get a Samsung TS-E552U external DVD writer to work on my laptop. I'm running XP Home 5.1 SP2 on an 1.8 gig Intel Pentium 4 mobile laptop with 256MB RAM. All 'original' USB ports 1.1, so have PCMIA card giving two 2.0 ports. Card seems to work fine with other apparatus. Running with ALi EHCI drivers which I think I have got the latest versions of ... When I attach the DVD writer, it is recognised OK and I can play CDs/DVDs/install operating software etc from there. But burning goes wrong, normally about 30 seconds in. Quite expensive! Essentially, the process just freezes. All signs of life disappear from the writer; lights go off though whirring continues. Software quits OK without needing to force reboot etc. I assume this is something to do with the drivers. When I plug the writer into a 1.1 port, I can access a list of USB ports. With my card in place, the two ports show up but not as hi-speed (they are listed as ALi PCI to USB open host controller). What should I do? Any ideas? EHCI driver is ALi 5.1.2600.119 apparently dated from late 2003. I have however run a file purporting to contain EHCI driver 1.59. Open host controller is Microsoft 5.1.2600.2180.

You might guess this problem has gone beyond my normal level of knowledge! Either that or I'm being terribly dumb.

Thanks.

You need to check on few things before having final verdict on yer DVD Burner. First of all check free space on yer working partition is it accordance with the requirements mentioned in the DVD Manual. if thats fine try yer DVD burner in other computer with USB 2.0 ..

Never forget the power of strange and unusual glitches. Sometimes drivers just don't install correctly even in XP. Try uninstalling the hardware in Device Manager, rebooting and letting XP redetect your card.

Thanks for the responses to my query. I ended up spending a few euros on a new USB 2.0 card (Belkin) and installing the drivers that came with. The card also came with an external power supply which I had not used before. Whether that makes a difference or not, I don't know. Having installed the card, I had to force XP to use the Belkin drivers not its generic ones. But after that, everything started to work fine. I have managed to record to CD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW no bother. Mission accomplished.