Gigabyte Clock Issues 7VT600P-RZ(-C)

Thread: Gigabyte Clock Issues 7VT600P-RZ(-C)

Unhappy Gigabyte Clock Issues 7VT600P-RZ(-C)

Thought I would have an easy build today But UMMMmmm Im Stumped.

Purchased from Newegg
    Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ(-C) With current F5 Bios
    CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 -
    Retail
    AMD 3000XP barton core 333 bus w/retail fan
    Case W/400w supply
    Sony DVD-RW Drive
    Intel modem
    MSI FX5200-TD128 Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
    WD 80 gig HD

Makings of a decent midrange machine I THOUGHT !
    After several HOURS, I found that the board will only successfully boot with the clock jumper in the 100MHZ position instead of auto.
    No matter what I try, Setup defaults, Optimized defaults, Clear Cmos Yada Yada. Same problem. 80% of the time it freezes before it detects drives.
    BUT!
    At the 100MHZ setting, It not only completes booting, It even allowed me to completely load windows. REALLY Weird But extremely stable!

So I Call Gigabyte, I do the tech support song and dance of swap out memory, Reset defaults several times, Unplug everything buy keyboard and video. No matter what we tryd, Same problem , Any Putting the jumper in auto position Freezes it up.
    Next Line from gigabyte tech.
    Remove board while we are on your dime, Boot it outside the case with only video and keyboard and see what happens. Then also try yet another power supply.
    Im Like Do WHAT??????

OK yeah sure, I can do that, But during a long distance call on my dime?
    "Sir, in order to RMA the device we must first exhaust all posiblities."

Now, I have only built about 80 computers in the past year, Yeah Sure Im Rusty,, But This Seems NUTZ.
    Any Ideas?
    Gene

Got any DDR333 memory laid about ? That's my general first thing to try with any board 'not workingness' & DDR 400 .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Got any DDR333 memory laid about ? That's my general first thing to try with any board 'not workingness' & DDR 400 .

Actually yes, In fact, while on the phone with the gigatech, I swapped it out,
    Wouldnt even boot! then cleared the cmos, Still wouldnt boot, Tryd in all three mem slots, Same results. The DDR333 chip was a pny chip from the PC im typing on right this second. Of course its working perfectly in this pc.
    Put The DRR400 back in and the same ole same ole problem. Random freezes

The weird thing I have noticed is as follows.
    The point in which the PC freezes changes.
    From a total power off stage It might freeze during detecting drives, Or sometimes before the memtest. Once it freezes, If you press the rest button, It fails entirely. No screen, Video output switches to standby(on monitor).
    In order to restart it requires switching off the supply entirely.

I did manage to actually get to windows once (loaded @ 100MHZ bus) And it worked for about 3 minutes, Then Froze.

Honestly, It seems very reminiscent of an overheat issue. But, I fail to see how that could be possible. Had it been 100 degrees room temp, The case panels closed up,And an under-rated fan, I might beleive that.

Normally these are pretty nice boards for the money. I know of several people here locally who swear by them. At this point, I cant judge it. At least not until I completely rule out EVERYTHING Else.
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Trout
    Thought I would have an easy build today But UMMMmmm Im Stumped.

Purchased from Newegg
    Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ(-C) With current F5 Bios
    CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 -
    Retail
    AMD 3000XP barton core 333 bus w/retail fan
    Case W/400w supply
    Sony DVD-RW Drive
    Intel modem
    MSI FX5200-TD128 Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
    WD 80 gig HD

Makings of a decent midrange machine I THOUGHT !
    After several HOURS, I found that the board will only successfully boot with the clock jumper in the 100MHZ position instead of auto.
    No matter what I try, Setup defaults, Optimized defaults, Clear Cmos Yada Yada. Same problem. 80% of the time it freezes before it detects drives.
    BUT!
    At the 100MHZ setting, It not only completes booting, It even allowed me to completely load windows. REALLY Weird But extremely stable!

So I Call Gigabyte, I do the tech support song and dance of swap out memory, Reset defaults several times, Unplug everything buy keyboard and video. No matter what we tryd, Same problem , Any Putting the jumper in auto position Freezes it up.
    Next Line from gigabyte tech.
    Remove board while we are on your dime, Boot it outside the case with only video and keyboard and see what happens. Then also try yet another power supply.
    Im Like Do WHAT??????

OK yeah sure, I can do that, But during a long distance call on my dime?
    "Sir, in order to RMA the device we must first exhaust all posiblities."

Now, I have only built about 80 computers in the past year, Yeah Sure Im Rusty,, But This Seems NUTZ.
    Any Ideas?
    Gene
    I had the EXACT problem you did on this past Saturday,Same MoBO too ,drove myself NUTS..I switched heat sinks and the sucker booted fine in AUTO mode,I looked at ehte other heat sink I was using when it would only boot into 100MHZ mode and I realized the CLip for my heat sink was backward(I'm guessing the pressure made the socket not make full contact with the pins) So anyways I flipped the Clip to the correct alignment and it booted just fine...
    Last edited by Beammeup; May 19th, 2005 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beammeup
    I had the EXACT problem you did on this past Saturday,Same MoBO too ,drove myself NUTS..I switched heat sinks and the sucker booted fine in AUTO mode,I looked at ehte other heat sink I was using when it would only boot into 100MHZ mode and I realized the CLip for my heat sink was backward(I'm guessing the pressure made the socket not make full contact with the pins) So anyways I flipped the Clip to the correct alignment and it booted just fine...
    Thanks for the ray of hope!

I re-checked the HS and it was correct, So, just as a good measure, I Tryd another brand of HS fan also.
    Same problem, Random stops. I had a bad run of soyo boards a while back that did a similar thing. I suspect bad regulater chips on those.

I ordered a different brand board from NewEgg, Looks like this ones going to get RMA'd eventually. In other words, 50 bucks wasted!

MB MSI NF2|K7N2 DELTA2-LSR - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$56.00)
    I have always had decent luck with MSI stuff though some may disagree, I need one fast, And Im not going to chance anothe Gigafart nightmare :butt:

Thanks everyone for the input!
    Trout