question onusing ts/web to connect to a server

Thread: question onusing ts/web to connect to a server

question onusing ts/web to connect to a server

My boss connected to one of our clients 2003 server remotely by opening up a browser and typing http://mail.(the domain name).com/tsweb

I Was wondeing if someone could explain how this works and how to set it up?
    Also, why does one type mail before the domain name?? Once he logged in it was as if he was using remote desktop.

SO it looks like terminal services over the web is a way to use remote desktop via a browser but how would I enable this on a 2003 server I am setting up and do I have to type mail.domain name or can that be what ever I want?

thanks in advance,
    harvey

Quote Originally Posted by harveymasons
    My boss connected to one of our clients 2003 server remotely by opening up a browser and typing http://mail.(the domain name).com/tsweb

I Was wondeing if someone could explain how this works and how to set it up?
    Also, why does one type mail before the domain name?? Once he logged in it was as if he was using remote desktop.

SO it looks like terminal services over the web is a way to use remote desktop via a browser but how would I enable this on a 2003 server I am setting up and do I have to type mail.domain name or can that be what ever I want?

thanks in advance,
    harvey
    mail.whatever.com is probably the DNS name of the server. The name only matters as a pointer, you can use the IP address also.

Secondly, you would need to install the webserver for Terminal Services (btw, this can also be on a different system) the webclient is accessible as port of backoffice, it can also be downloaded seperatly.

The webclient only works through Internet Explorer, it uses the browser's ActiveX functions to enable the connection. (btw, port 3389 needs to be open to the TS server)
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks for the quick reply.

So suppose the address is mail.abc.com that means this server is known on the public inernet as mail.abc.com???

Just seems strange that they would use mail before the domain name??

thanks again,
    HArvey

Thanks for the quick reply.

So suppose the address is mail.abc.com that means this server is known on the public inernet as mail.abc.com???

Just seems strange that they would use mail before the domain name??

thanks again,
    HArvey
    It's how the DNS is setup. If it's mail.abc.com, i suspect you are probably running exchange on it, meaning that mail.abc.com would need to point to the exchange server for e-mail to work.

the mail.abc.com is a function of DNS, not a function of TS.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

ahhh, that was the answer I Was looking for. Yes, they are running exchange on this server. SO it makes sense now.

So mail.abc.com is the dns entry on the internet that points to this exchange server correct?? Would this also be called an mx record??

thanks in advance,
    harvey

ahhh, that was the answer I Was looking for. Yes, they are running exchange on this server. SO it makes sense now.

So mail.abc.com is the dns entry on the internet that points to this exchange server correct?? Would this also be called an mx record??

thanks in advance,
    harvey
    No, mx is different, check your dns, you'll probably see an A record for mail.abc.com or just mail.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Thanks again for your extremely helpful information. Could I trouble you to explain what an MX record is and how it works. I always thought it was a dns entry for e-mail?
    IG. mail.abc.com???

But by your last post it is something different??

thanks a million,

regards,
    harvey

Thanks again for your extremely helpful information. Could I trouble you to explain what an MX record is and how it works. I always thought it was a dns entry for e-mail?
    IG. mail.abc.com???

But by your last post it is something different??

thanks a million,

regards,
    harvey
    has per...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/....html#xtocid11

A DNS Mail Exchanger resource record that specifies where mail for a domain name should be delivered. You can have multiple MX records for a single domain name, ranked in preference order
    I just tells mail where to go, not computers.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Thanks again!! I appreciate it.

Harvey

Check out www.dyndns.org - you can create an account and play around with some dns settings. There are 4 or 5 different types of dns records "A" and "MX" the two most used though. "A" records point to a site and MX records point to some mail exchanger ( doesn't have to be exchange) We use ( or the browser/dns) A records to surf web. Mail servers use MX records to transfer mail to destination.
    All who wander are not lost

What were we talkin bout ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grateful_Dad
    Check out www.dyndns.org - you can create an account and play around with some dns settings. There are 4 or 5 different types of dns records "A" and "MX" the two most used though. "A" records point to a site and MX records point to some mail exchanger ( doesn't have to be exchange) We use ( or the browser/dns) A records to surf web. Mail servers use MX records to transfer mail to destination.
    all the dns records get much use. i would howerver place "pointer" and "cname" records higher then MX records. Just cause you don't hear about them does not mean they are not used.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

The mail server had IIS, Terminal Services and TS Web Client installed (TSWeb is found under Web Server details in Add/Remove Programs / Windows Components) and then you can use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/tsweb to access the Web Client version of TermSvcs - where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address - you can also use any valid Dns entry for the same host - ie mail.company.com/tsweb

I hope this is an acceptable explination.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010