dead vaio notebook?????

Thread: dead vaio notebook?????

dead vaio notebook?????

ok i bought this sony vaio pcg-gr300k notebook from ebay right... it's been running off the battery for a while. 2 days ago the battery died so i plug in the ac adapter but no go... no power no lights no nothing.... so i check the ac adapter with a multimeter and i'm getting correct voltage... so what can it be??? dead board??? please someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried to take off the battery and turn it on? Some times a faulty battery may prevent a machine from turning on.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

yes i have tried to start the notebook without the battery but nothing happens

Bad motherboard. Most likely the voltage regulator has tanked. If you want to fix the machine you can find replacement parts all over the Internet. I like: http://laptopparts.com/

However, I would bet that you can replace it for the cost of parts and get a new warranty as well. Based on my own experience I would advise you to never buy a Sony computer and don't buy any electronics second hand.

For all their warts, Dell laptops are still good values.

hhhmmmm any other ideas????????????????

I'm not sure if it works on your machine, but it worth a shot.
    Take off the battery and unplug the AC adapter. Press the power button and keep it pressed for at least 10-15 seconds. Then release it, connect the AC adapter and see if it turns on.
    Another thing to do if that wouldn't help, is to remove the memory modules and put them back on. This works on some laptops, as it fully erases the contents or the RAM. I don't know if it is any help for you.
    If the problem still persists, you're dealing with a bad motherboard as Slgrieb said.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Slamming Sony

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Bad motherboard. Most likely the voltage regulator has tanked. If you want to fix the machine you can find replacement parts all over the Internet. I like: http://laptopparts.com/

However, I would bet that you can replace it for the cost of parts and get a new warranty as well. Based on my own experience I would advise you to never buy a Sony computer and don't buy any electronics second hand.

For all their warts, Dell laptops are still good values.

Experience is a teacher but a fool seldom remembers it.

Now that we've got my brainism out of the day. I love my sony VAIO. I bought it used for $25 put a $100 drive in and then added another 128 of ram and its nice. Just recently the battery went bad so I'll need to eventually replace it. The point? Don't judge sony by one person do research of your own. I also have a dell and while its faster its a pita. Ii've replaced the keyboard twice and it gets hot quicker.

To each his own. I might try an IBM this round just cause the company swears they got good deals on them, mine not ibm.
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.