Networking through electrical lines

Thread: Networking through electrical lines

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar

Networking through electrical lines

Anybody have any experience with the networking products that utilize your electrical lines? - I have a customer looking to network 2 computers together to simply share internet and possibly a printer, (so speed is not a major issue here, 10MB will be fine). She lives in a very old farmhouse with lots of brick walls, so wireless will not work well. There is neither a basement below or an attic above the room where the one pc will be, so pulling a cable will be pretty involved.

I was looking at Linksys' line of electrical networking products, just looking for any input from anybody who may have worked with something like this before.

Thanks!

If you wanted to utilize wireless access you could add an 80211g wireless range extender and router. The range extender is self-explanatory but basically it works as a repeater. You simply put it at the end of your routers range. To be honest you do lose about 1/2 of the speed but it's more than 10m. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I debated that, but there is 3 different walls inbetween the 2 PC's, and all 3 are brick, so I'm not sure how well that would work, and don't have any repeaters to simply test with.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the electrical stuff but here is some stuff I found.

http://www.wave-report.com/tutorials/bpl.htm
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/1404631
    http://www.intellon.com/technology/p...unications.php

They keep saying that one day everything will come in on one cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1
    If you wanted to utilize wireless access you could add an 80211g wireless range extender and router. The range extender is self-explanatory but basically it works as a repeater. You simply put it at the end of your routers range. To be honest you do lose about 1/2 of the speed but it's more than 10m. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    Ive tried a couple of different repeaters in thick wall houses with no success. Couldnt get them to work properly at all (both actually extending the range, and more fundamentally setting it up), so Id be interested to hear if youve had one working.
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

Have you tried the wireless anyway?
    Especially 802.11b which slower, but has the best range.
    I use it with little trouble in both my home, which is brick, and my office.
    In my home I am using an inexpensive amplified antenna, but it actually worked okay with out it.
    From my office I can stay on the internet, in the bar across the street, through three brick walls, with no amplification.
    Good wireless adapters are also important. Check the strength.

I used phoneline networking in the past - worked ok - just another idea
    All who wander are not lost

What were we talkin bout ?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Phoneline networking is my recommendation as well.Speed isnt bad and its reliable as any other media
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-