Beep codes?

Thread: Beep codes?

Unhappy Beep codes?

Hi All -

I've got a situation where I think a power supply, board, and CPU are toast but wanted to verify. Not sure what failed first but the fan popped off of the heatsink! I'll be shocked and amazed if the chip is still good.

I put a new power supply in and the machine started up, no video and it gives 2 beeps (slow and steady beeps like quarter notes if that makes sense). It doesn't shut itself off it just sits there.

The board is a soltek SL-75DRV4 (via KT266a chipset) - I looked at soltek's site and the manual and did not see any explanation on what 2 beeps mean. I'll google for it but thought I would post here first in case anyone knew off the top of their head.

TIA

That appears to use an AWARD bios - are the beeps the same pitch? Alternating high and low pitch beeps indicate CPU (may be damaged, incorrectly seated or overheating). Do the beeps continue, or just two?

Various sources point out AWARD beep codes may not be very informative, but that may not apply now an AWARD bios is likely to be a Phoenix anyway...

Manufacturers can have their own variants of beep codes too.
    Last edited by Platypus; May 23rd, 2005 at 09:34 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff316
    Hi All -

I've got a situation where I think a power supply, board, and CPU are toast but wanted to verify. Not sure what failed first but the fan popped off of the heatsink! I'll be shocked and amazed if the chip is still good.

I put a new power supply in and the machine started up, no video and it gives 2 beeps (slow and steady beeps like quarter notes if that makes sense). It doesn't shut itself off it just sits there.

The board is a soltek SL-75DRV4 (via KT266a chipset) - I looked at soltek's site and the manual and did not see any explanation on what 2 beeps mean. I'll google for it but thought I would post here first in case anyone knew off the top of their head.

TIA
    Had a simular problem, installed cpu in board plus HSF, plugged the panel connections before I noticed the machine started but the fan was not spinning....at that point I was sure the cpu was toast because the machine ran a good minute to two, just to be sure I installed a new HSF and away it ran.. I'd have to say the Artech Silver saved the CPU because the FAN was untouchable.

now to your question I'd try another CPU, most boards got built in protection if you cross your fingers.

Good Luck

hmmm....

Well, based on those links it seems to indicate the CPU is bad - I am guessing it ran for a while sans fan because we noticed the burning smell from across the house. The board has a feature called "smart doc anti burn shield" but the chip burned all the way through the thermal pad/paste on the bottom of the heatsink - I put some artic silver on it before retesting of course...

I guess my next steps would be to take all components out and try booting with the bare minimum just to be sure but I'm not optimistic. I don't have a spare socket A processor laying around to confirm the board is good so prolly the best thing would be to replace chip, board, etc. I'm just glad this is my secondary PC.

bummer.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff316
    Well, based on those links it seems to indicate the CPU is bad - I am guessing it ran for a while sans fan because we noticed the burning smell from across the house. The board has a feature called "smart doc anti burn shield" but the chip burned all the way through the thermal pad/paste on the bottom of the heatsink - I put some artic silver on it before retesting of course...

I guess my next steps would be to take all components out and try booting with the bare minimum just to be sure but I'm not optimistic. I don't have a spare socket A processor laying around to confirm the board is good so prolly the best thing would be to replace chip, board, etc. I'm just glad this is my secondary PC.

bummer.
    We never use the thermal paste on the HSF pads, we use artech silver from the beginning.