Sound Again Please?

Thread: Sound Again Please?

Hybrid View

Unhappy Sound Again Please?

Hello and thanks for this Forum Site:

I hate to be a bother but would really appreciate some assistance to a very common problem with computers:

That is the issue of losing sound just after a new reformat:
    I work many security forums helping people to remove foulware from off their PC online, but now i find myself on the needing end for some help.

It's not much anymore as computers go, Windows 98SE, a HP Pavillion 65?? model number i think, with a Asus P5S-vm Mobo, and reading the manual and confirming by a look inside on the board itself shows a Creative Labs ES1371 onboard sound chip.

After the format i now also get the same 3 (yellow) Exclamation/Question notices under Device Manager. I have 'removed" them several times and let windows redetect then used what must seem like countless different drivers found on the web with no effect yet.

PCI COMMUNICATION DEVICE
    PCI INPUT CONTROLLER
    PCI MULTIMEDIA DEVICE

If it's of any help in resolving this is the exact order as they appear under Device Manager:

I have tried some ES1371 drivers found at Drivers.com but nothing helps yet. Maybe i not found the EXACT one thats needed, i dunno.

Im willing to install anything to recover the sound again, and so i tried this
    FM801 PCI Audio Installation and at least i heard the speakers make a loud BOOMP! when closing down for a reboot, afterwards still nothing.

Any guidance will be most appreciated in this endless search to resolve this.
    I will for now on when i do find them, make a hundred copies so i never have to spend days and weeks of searching.

I tried this one among others as it seems to closely resemble what's needed but the darn thing said there wasnt enough files to do an update.
    http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/125/125064.htm
    I simply dont understand why they make this so hard and difficult.

Here is an update to what i found so far so it can provide a clearer picture of what this is up against.

Since Windows couldn't detect an AUDIO device by name i chose one from the ADD NEW HARDWARE list that looks the same as what's in the ASUS motherboard manual as Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V Legacy Device and now i have a Sound, video and game controllers entry under Device Manager showing only (1) driver file which is configmg.vxd that i had to pull off another pc since it was missing. I know there should be more: I am totally confused which way to turn, do you install ES1371 drivers for the darn sound chip itself (which i have tried a few), or do you install drivers for that SoundBlaster entry that now is in the Device list? Where can they be found? If so which goes where?

The ERROR message on the driver properties says WINDOWS COULD NOT LOAD ONE OF THE DRIVERS FOR THIS DEVICE, Blah Blah Blah Update drivers...........I am so close to dumping anything Microsoft for Linux or other systems that dont make as much of a mockery of technology.
    Last edited by MIRROR; May 24th, 2005 at 12:03 AM.

Problems Solved

Ok, as it turns out, the Onboard wasnt really active at all, so scratch that.

Since it was the first time i really done inventory to hardware componants plugged in, the external sound/modem card deceived me into thinking it was separate which it is not. Had i bothered to trace the the Lead-In from the start it might have saved me some grief. So much for mix n' match OEM computers.

Ok, so heres what transpired and is now returned the sound to normal again, (and yes i have secured those needed drivers in a Lock Safe this time LoL)

Pulled out the combo card and identified the EXACT ID numbers/letters: Then done a simple Google search for
    smart modular technologies model 90079 drivers

which brought me to selecting one from the list which happen to be this:
    Hewlett Packard (HP) smart modular technologies # 90079-2 driver ...

http://www.modem-drivers.com/drivers/38/38933.htm

Even after downloading THIS CORRECT DRIVERS! there was a see-saw back & forth from "Insert Windows 98 CD" and "Insert Conextant CD" where you need to land the file browser in the right folder containing the files being prompted.

This is very tedious to say the least but above all if this lesson i learned can be of any help to anyone who find themselves in a similar dilema, i would like to stress, IDENTIFY your Sound Card (circuit board) Model numbers and that should guide you pretty well to finding the match in a Google search.

isn`t it fun when you find your own answer?thanks for letting us know you got it fixed

Quote Originally Posted by clauded
    isn`t it fun when you find your own answer?thanks for letting us know you got it fixed
    Fun? Maybe, but it sure helps.

Hi clauded

The underlying problem with Windows OS (any others for that matter) is the relationship between these physical machines to the software that makes them perform IMO.

All it takes is a simple malfunction from either of them or a single "wrongly constructed" file to throw all this technological marvels into a tailspin of total frustrations along with wasting weeks maybe months of good time and efforts.

A fresh format of the hard disk platter is healthy for any long running machine and refreshes performance not to mention places everything back in good order again but chasing down and re-applying those drivers for this and drivers for that can prove a nusance at best.

The computer is a nice innovation and invention but is far from being the device that you can safely count on untill the Masters can recreate it again to alleviate the headaches that always seem to repeat themselves IMHO. LoL

Nice Forum here, i think i will visit often if not daily and try to pitch in with some useful suggestions for others who find themselves at the mercy of these machines from one time or another.