Video card fan noise

Thread: Video card fan noise

Video card fan noise

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb video card. Some times it's nice and quite, and then when the fan reaqlly kicks in it gets pretty loud with a whining sound. Its really annoying. It's not so bad in games or when there is music playing but if its quite I just want to yell. It baffles me that it starts to do this randomly not just when the card is/should be stressing.

So I was wondering if anybody could offer any solutions.
    I was looking at these solutions and was wondering if you could offer any opinions..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835110106

Or this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186115
    This one I know it says its for the 256 MB but I didn't know if it would make a difference if it was 128 or not.

Thanks in advance for any sugestions

You could try and just replace the fan, as these things tend to wear out.

Its best to get the one thats desined for your card, as there might be differences between the others.

THe Vantec you have a link of, has a reply from a 9800pro user, so that might work.
    Also take a look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186128

Another option would be to clean the fan and the heat sink. If you'd like to try it, you have to be very careful. Follow the instructions only when you're sure you understood them 100%. If you don't feel comfortable with the following actions, just replace the fan with a new one. Always beware of electricity!

Pull out the card and remove the 2 or 4 screws that hold the fan on the heat sink. If there are no screws, there are clips instead. They can be removed too.
    Then, remove the sticker on the bottom of the fan. Use a thin screw driver to remove the tiny plastic washers. Now you can take the rotating blades apart from the main body of the fan. Be careful not to loose the ball-bearing (if present).
    It's time to wash the two parts of the fan. Yeah, that's right. Use a dish-washing fluid and wash them. When done, use a hair drier to dry them out. The only thing to keep in mind is to move it back and forth because if you keep it on the same position for a long time, it will melt the plastic and destroy the parts of the fan. Place the parts and do that on your hand, to feel the heat. You can control it better that way.
    When done, use a lubricant to spray on the ball-bearing. Assemble the parts and when done, use a paint-brush to remove the dust from the heat sink. Finally, screw the fan on the heat sink and you're done.
    I have cleaned hundreds of fans that way, when I can't find a replacement. Not only the annoying noise stops, but also the temperature drops.

I hope the description is clear. In case you want to try it but there’s something you don’t understand, do not proceed! Reply asking further information.
    Last edited by AlienDyne; May 27th, 2005 at 03:42 AM.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Quote Originally Posted by met_man
    ..It baffles me that it starts to do this randomly not just when the card is/should be stressing...
    Doesn't baffle me - it could potentially make me confus-ed, but not this time ... the mechanisms 'aren't very smart', all they do is react to whatever temperature has accumulated, they don't as you'd more logically expect 'amp up' the cooling based on processing done..

Quote Originally Posted by AlienDyne
    ..Yeah, that's right. Use a dish-washing fluid and wash them..
    Yeah for sure clean the fan ! ... but I feel this is 'dangerous advice' for people who mightn't be quite as careful as some ..

Is this the kind of comment that ought to be followed by 'only trained personel should attempt these procedures !!' ??? - I appreciate the various caveats, but personally I settle for just brushing all the dirt very carefully & diligently - melting things with hairdriers & exposing myself to potential electruction hazards - are not on my personal agenda !

Copious amounts of compressed air will do exactly the same job, (a little 'less better' admittedly), as will dry brushing - but with much less potential danger .

Agreed but if somebody read the instructions and decided to try it, must be aware of the dangers. Since you decided to open the case of an electronic device, you must be aware of the possible things that may harm you or damage the hardware.

On second thought, you're right. I'll edit my post and place a couple of warnings. This kind of things may be on my personal agenda, but I do this job for years.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienDyne
    .. I'll edit my post and place a couple of warnings. This kind of things may be on my personal agenda, but I do this job for years.
    Exactly .. what you or I would do, having been at this 'yonks' is an entirely different matter , thanks for making it clearer .

No problem!